Import/Export symbols with detail/medium/low parts only

maybe someone here stubled over the same problem:

I want to import a design layer from a VW file, but want to import only the detail or medium or low details of the symbols.

Same with exporting a design layer.

Or maybe someone here who knows a script/selection/workflow how to delete only low/medium/detail parts of selected symbols ?

( I have been succesful with import/export the visible parts of symbols to dwg, but I think there should be a simplier way ?)

Thanks for any ideas 🙂

Edited by halfcoupler

We talked about this a year ago. 😉

No way to deal with it directly on import, it will have to be post processing after the symbols are in the file.

Would you really want to do every symbol in the drawing?  Or would a better way be to place an instance of each symbol you want processed and then edit the symbol definition of those objects?

Also, since objects can be assigned to no detail, Low, Medium, High, I am assuming that you only want to delete objects that are Medium, Medium/High, or High. Objects that are Low only or have no detail level should be left.  Correct?

14 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

We talked about this a year ago. 😉

Hi Pat,

uuups... im getting old....😉

14 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Would you really want to do every symbol in the drawing?

Yes, I want to change the smybol definition and thus all instances in the drawing. Background for this is mainly filesize reduction. For example files sended out for static calculations need only the the axis of structural member/truss/scaffold and dont need fittings, screws and all that detail information.

The approach was a bit different last year,- the problem then was that symbols converted to groups lose their detail information and all detail levels are shown simultaneously. Now I want to import/export only one detail level. But you are right, the problem remains the same, the information is stored somewhere within the symbol and it is difficult to extract it from there.

Your scripting approach looks promising, but I have only basic scripting knowledge, so it will take ages for me to develop that 😉

I think I will stick to the solution to import/export as dwg file, since this import/exports only the visible detail level and so it does what I want. But I really wonder why this works,- there must be some some simple criteria that seperates the visible detail levels from the hidden ones...

Edited by halfcoupler