Importing Survey Points as Loci - Existing Trees

Hello,

Our surveyor has provided a .dwg that I've imported, but the existing trees are done with survey points in Civil3D, which have symbols when viewed natively in Civil3D/AutoCAD. When I import to Vectorworks, I only get a text object with zero data attached to it. No symbol in Vectorworks as shown below. I think the insertion point of the text reflects the actual coordinate for the existing tree. But I would like to import these as Loci with records or somehow utilize these text boxes so I can easily create existing trees (there are 165 of them on this project) for all the benefits Existing Tree objects provide. If the only alternative is to request a tabular data set to use the Import Tree Survey Tool, what do I need to request from the surveyor?

As supplemental information, I've had this issue with another survey (different firm) which did spot elevations with survey points. But the "point" comes in as two 3D polygons in VW, which is results in inaccuracies if used as source data for the site model. The issue I have seems to be with these survey points, and my wish would be that survey points are imported as 2D or 3D loci.

Thanks!

image.png.efe04edb294b6e2ba358926010f1a36a.pngimage.png.78bc5cb8d577efed296833db37d29ee0.png

Edited by Will M
added screenshot of survey point imported as 3D polygons

@E|FA sent you on the right path.  Asking for a points file is easy, Vectorworks has a tool specifically for importing points as existing tree objects which is nice.

I'm using Designer, so it's under the AEC menu.  For Landmark, you find it under the Landmark menu.

If you are asking your surveyor for point for trees, might as well get them for the surface too.  Points make better site models than contours.

69907102_ScreenShot2022-05-10at7_24_05PM.thumb.png.bc89fb4631c976f1a6187e21d0d7c148.png

• Like 2
15 hours ago, jeff prince said:

@E|FA sent you on the right path.  Asking for a points file is easy, Vectorworks has a tool specifically for importing points as existing tree objects which is nice.

I'm using Designer, so it's under the AEC menu.  For Landmark, you find it under the Landmark menu.

If you are asking your surveyor for point for trees, might as well get them for the surface too.  Points make better site models than contours.

69907102_ScreenShot2022-05-10at7_24_05PM.thumb.png.bc89fb4631c976f1a6187e21d0d7c148.png

Thanks E|FA. That link does provide a little bit more I can forward on to the surveyor so they understand my needs better. Jeff, this is certainly the tool I hope to use. Originally I was really pulling for a solution where I could quickly get loci I could convert to existing trees. After double checking my .dwg import settings, Points should be coming in as loci. I'm confused as to why Survey Points don't come in as loci, unless Points does not refer to the specific Survey Point object type in Civil3D. Again, it would be so much easier if these Survey Point objects were imported as loci or if there is some way to do that.

As to the surface question, we pretty much always have a TINN from survey and/or civil. For now, that is our preferred 3D source data. When we use consulting civils instead of in-house, they will typically still own the terrain model which is one reason why. But our in-house Civils are grading in Civil3D regardless, so that needs to be negotiated. How we swap updated TINNs in throughout the project, not sure yet. Still figuring it all out--I really don't have a good understanding of how other Landmark users coordinate the site model with civils, because right now it seems like a tough task.