Fit Walls To Roof in v11.5

D Wood

This is a brilliant tool - when it works. On some of my files, it will work instantly with one or more walls selected, on others I get the SPOD (spinning pizza of death), and have to force escape. There doesn't seem to be a pattern (ie files converted from an earlier version), so I am wondering if anyone else has the problem.

Regards

David W

Auckland NZ

G5 iMac, 1.5Gb RAM, OS 10.4.5

VWA+R 11.5

Epson Stylus Color 1160, HP Designjet 110plus nr

Yes, the walls are on a different layer to the roof.

Thank you for the offer to look at the file, I will email it immediately.

Regards

David W

Auckland NZ

VWA+R 11.5

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Well, it's working ok. You need just to wait for it.

The problem is that you have a stair object.

This tool works with converting all objects in the cut layer into 3D polygons. And fits the walls to those 3D polygons. The problem is that those 3D polygons may intersect each other, and those itersections are to be found.

When you have plug-in object that contains lots of 3D polygons within (like stair object) So it takes time to go trough all the polygons to check them for intersections.

Well, this is a known issue, that we are up to find solution, so the performance would be improved.

For now, you could either remove that stair from that layer, fit the walls, and move it back .... or just wait for the tool to finish [smile]

[ 03-02-2006, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: Vladislav Stanev ]

Thank you for your reply.

Moving the stair out of the layer will be a lot quicker.

Are there any other objects that are likely to cause this problem?

Regards

David W

Auckland NZ

VWA+R 11.5

any complex objects will cause this. My suggestion David, is to keep as little as possible in the roof layer when you fit walls to roof.

I?ve left the roof framing in the roof layer and then when I used fit walls to roof, i got the walls fitting around all the rafters, ridge beams and so on.

So keep the roof layer as clear as possible and it will work faster. At this point we are not able to hide objects by turning off a class, but I hope that Nemetschek North America are listening...

Jonathan

You are quite right as usual - moving the stair temporaily to another layer made no difference because there are other objects on the layer with the roof planes. What I will have to do is to move all roof elements to one layer (with nothing else on that layer) and adjust their z heights.

It is cool however how the walls will fit around roof beams and rafters, so having them on the roof layer is a good idea.

Regards

David W

Auckland NZ

VWA+R 11.5

Mike

The house is 2 storeys with just a bedroom suite upstairs, and I had the roofs of the ground floor on the upper floor layer. I had a roof layer, but it only had the upper floor roofs on it.

So I have done what you & Jonathan suggest - move all the roofs to the roof layer, adjust the 3D heights, and bingo - Fit Walls To Roof works perfectly on the ground floor walls.

Regards

David W

Auckland NZ

VWA+R 11.5