Add Diffusion to Lighting (?)

trashcan

Question

"Soft Shadows" is never really soft enough for me. In the real world, I'd jus throw some diffusion on a light to soften it up.

In VWX, at the very least, I thought I could emulate that by putting frosted glass in front of a spot light, but all that seems to do is DIM the light. 

I also thought maybe I could crank the spread up really high and bring the beam angle really low, which, in real life, would soften the shadow as well. But that doesn't work either! 

Any ideas? 

5 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, trashcan said:

"Soft Shadows" is never really soft enough for me. In the real world, I'd jus throw some diffusion on a light to soften it up.

In VWX, at the very least, I thought I could emulate that by putting frosted glass in front of a spot light, but all that seems to do is DIM the light. 

I also thought maybe I could crank the spread up really high and bring the beam angle really low, which, in real life, would soften the shadow as well. But that doesn't work either! 

Any ideas? 

@trashcanright there with ya

The way I've been doing it is by creating a gradient texture in Photoshop and dropping it into the light as a gobo texture.  If you are concerned with syncing with Lightwright, you can put your "diffusion" into the Gobo 2 field and not syncing it with the Lightwright data exchange.  This is also how I cheat the elliptical beamspread of PAR fixtures and linear diffusion when doing museum gallery lighting.

image.thumb.png.e9414d9eeea3ec50f10ba3c5a3287d01.png

Identical fixtures with a 25deg beamspread at 15'.  The one above is with a 25deg beam, 40deg field, the other one has the "diffusion" gobo.  The one caveat is that the gobo can sometimes cut off the edges of the beam, so you kind of have to play around with the beam and field settings (I usually make them match since the gobo is softening the edge) to make it the proper size.

image.thumb.png.7482ea3ef4290ec146db8cd85e35e53f.png

Image as built in Photoshop

image.thumb.png.ec02edd8f1b8dfa606e6fc4beedda241.png

Diffusion texture in Vectoworks

image.thumb.png.ba8aff0abc83dd4bfaf3c97470dd6468.png

9deg spot fixture with 10x36deg linear diffusion

image.thumb.png.1e43216a3f8db24b5383ea4b0abb2fdd.png

10x36deg linear diffusion gobo texture

EDIT: I should also mention that this is using a Lighting Device object from Vectorworks Spotlight, not the vanilla Light object.  As far as I know, there's not a way to do this method with the standard Light object.

Edited by Jesse Cogswell
  • Like 4

Area lights are the way to do this. However, they take a while to render.

The other way to do this is to light the scene with glow textures. However, these don’t have the same properties as light objects especially as you can’t see them in shaded view and they don’t work with backlight textures. 

Edited by markdd
20 hours ago, Jesse Cogswell said:

The way I've been doing it is by creating a gradient texture in Photoshop and dropping it into the light as a gobo texture.  If you are concerned with syncing with Lightwright, you can put your "diffusion" into the Gobo 2 field and not syncing it with the Lightwright data exchange.  This is also how I cheat the elliptical beamspread of PAR fixtures and linear diffusion when doing museum gallery lighting.

image.thumb.png.e9414d9eeea3ec50f10ba3c5a3287d01.png

Identical fixtures with a 25deg beamspread at 15'.  The one above is with a 25deg beam, 40deg field, the other one has the "diffusion" gobo.  The one caveat is that the gobo can sometimes cut off the edges of the beam, so you kind of have to play around with the beam and field settings (I usually make them match since the gobo is softening the edge) to make it the proper size.

image.thumb.png.7482ea3ef4290ec146db8cd85e35e53f.png

Image as built in Photoshop

image.thumb.png.ec02edd8f1b8dfa606e6fc4beedda241.png

Diffusion texture in Vectoworks

image.thumb.png.ba8aff0abc83dd4bfaf3c97470dd6468.png

9deg spot fixture with 10x36deg linear diffusion

image.thumb.png.1e43216a3f8db24b5383ea4b0abb2fdd.png

10x36deg linear diffusion gobo texture

EDIT: I should also mention that this is using a Lighting Device object from Vectorworks Spotlight, not the vanilla Light object.  As far as I know, there's not a way to do this method with the standard Light object.

wow. Even tho I make blurry gobos all the time1166156713_Blurrygobos.thumb.png.13406f57a9c1bef0c7ed3a6ee44c48f6.png , it never occurred to me to have it emulate the beam edge dynamics. I've been attempting that through Beam Field differentiation.

Edited by mjm
  • Like 3