Connections appearance changing

when i connect two devices with a connector, rather than drawing the wire it is showing like this image.thumb.png.e39a796e4728450b39b6d5e4c19963d7.png
how can i prevent this so i get the wires to join the devices together? 

(sorry i appreciate this is probably a very basic question, but i couldn't find anything in the manual explaining the behaviour) 

thanks

I have polyline selected in the tool but as soon as i draw the line it's appearance changes to the type shown. Furthermore I cannot change the connection type back to polyline as it is greyed out in the preferences..

it's weird, it's just not behaving like the tutorial videos show.

image.thumb.png.8144a07943045a74700a3b98e60267d2.png

All the devices are on the schematic layer - it's the only layer i have visible. 

I suspect this is a bug, I pasted the devices in from another document. I will have to rebuild them all in a new document and start again i suppose?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@TomBass This file is really messed up. Once I change something in this arrow circuit it gets back to normal and allows me to change its type. However, I found that it is not correctly connected to the source device, as when I move the source device this circuit does not follow it. Instead, a circuit connected to 2 other devices gets a preview that it is dragged but it does not update when the drag is over. Very very strange. Can you get to the same result starting from a blank file? How exactly did you create this file and the circuits in it?

P.S. I am not able to reproduce the problem where the circuit automatically becomes arrow for these 2 devices.