Door preferences code bloating

jnr

Robert:

Unfortunately the most recent patch did nothing to improve the response of the Door Preferences menu. ITS TOO SLOW. As an architect, doors are an often used PIO. Its intollerable to have to wait for the menu to appear (1 to 2 seconds). Navigation between tabs, especially to the Parts tab is almost the same delay. This problem did not exist in version 11. Its not the hardware (w2k and xp run 11 just fine). This pain extends to both new files and (especially) converted version 11 files. Also the ID tag for the doors needs work. The tags turn oblong when the tag is reduced in size so that it fits on the drawing. Please tighten up the code so that it runs faster.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

By "Door Preferences menu", I assume you mean the Door Preferences dialog box. I'm seeing it appear in less than a second, even though I'm on a PowerBook that is slower than your WinXP box. How do you access the dialog? Do you double-click your door, or do you use the "Settings" button on the OI palette?

You'll find that there are more door (and window) properties on the OI palette (than there were in 12.0.0); review them-you may not need to use the dialog as much.

It's difficult to compare v11 and v12 doors, as the v12 doors have so many more capabilities that the "simple list" interface used for the v11 doors was intractable. However, many users didn't want to have to use the Settings dialog for every little change. This is why we added properties back to the OI palette so that the dialogs would not be necessary for many operations.

As for the tags, what you are describing is a feature, not a bug. The tags will automatically grow to fit the text, so you will not get obscuring of the tag bubble by the text. If you want to avoid this, you can make the bubble size larger using the "ID Label Size" parameter on the OI palette.

R:

Dialog box is accessed using both methods, both are excruciatingly slow. I understand V11 door prefs are not as robust as V12, however encumberances to workflow have real dollar implications. This is the first time this has come up with the software. All previous versions (Ok so there was the 9.0 fiasco-but I won't go there) had very responsive dialog boxes. The "parts" tab is especially slow. Judging by the volume of traffic on the boards about door and window disfunction, 12.01 did little to improve the situation. I hope you all are looking into it.

BTW lineweight control for door swings in the View tab goes bannanas with a converted 11 file. Basically, it doesn't work.

As for the tags, in V11, one simply reduced the size of the text and used the scale factor to get a tag to fit (I'm working with 1/4" plans, chock full of info). With 6 or 7 pt text and a scale factor of say .6, the tag remains a nice little round circle. In the current scenario (especially with a converted V11 file),in order to get the big fat tag to fit, it has to be squashed into a weird oval. It won't go as small as V11 tags. V11 worked better.

JNR, One thing that *might* speed things up a bit is to make sure that you are always in WIREFRAME before clicking the "Settings" button. If the drawing is rendered, VW will redraw the screen each time you enter/exit/modify the settings

I am also seeing the redraw take place every time but only in files created in 12.0 prior to upgrade to 12.1

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

JNR, I've done some checking around the office on various Windows machines. On my miserable little 5 yr. old Dell laptop (700 mhz!), I am able to get the door dialog to display in about 1.25 sec. (This is from double-clicking on a door in the drawing). An associate's machine (2 Ghz+) does it in about 0.7 sec. So if you are seeing slow behavior approaching 2 seconds on a 2ghz machine, you may want to contact Tech Support and talk setup with them. There may be somthing sketchy with video, etc.