Ability to manipulate length of wall/roof components

Christiaan

Question

(This is another idea for stopping the proliferation of Wall Styles and avoiding the need split walls, in a similar vein to this wish.)

I'd like to arbitrarily extend, split and/or effectively remove segments of wall/roof components without affecting the length of the wall/roof itself or any of the joins with other walls/roofs.

In the attached example I have a column situated within a twin-frame metal stud wall. I've simply placed the column over top of the wall, but in the real world these elements do not overlap. The metal framing should stop either side of the column (at the dotted pink lines) and only the plasterboard should continue. But rather than create separate wall components for the plasterboard around the column, I'd like to be able to tell the middle three components to T-join against the column. Or I'd like to be able to simply drag the components manually back to the column edge.

The accurate way to model this currently in Vectorworks—and ensure the extraneous framing isn't exported to DWG, IFC, etc.—is to stop the twin-frame wall either side of the column and use a different Wall Style for the plasterboard around the column.

But this can really suck for a number of reasons. A few off the top of my head:

1. You might have a wall insertion (such as a window) where the split is required.
  2. It can cause havoc with Space objects and Slab objects.
  3. It creates exponentially more walls, walls joins (and Wall Styles) to manage. In this example if I were to move the twin-frame wall, then I would have move at least two more walls for each column within the wall. (and this quickly gets out of control)

In the real world the plasterboard around the column is logically a continuation of the twin-frame wall type. Vectorworks needs a way to deal with this concept. Giving us the ability to manipulate components independently of the main wall position might be the way.

example_1.thumb.png.0b0a626a4cc1dc8db83560b9e27d6571.png

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 1

2 answers to this question

In the jurisdictions (Canada) where most of my documents were produced for, around steel HSS columns and concrete columns I had to indicate a change in wall type to satisfy the building code requirements. Steel particularly would have to change to type X gypsum board to meet fire resistance requirements. And progress towards BIM production documents would also need to correctly record materials in the file. Around concrete columns the assembly would change to GWB on furring channels, etc. I feel it is only in residential constructions where some design teams have held back from creating comprehensive documentation (I blame developer budgets).

It would be really great to be able to clip/add Wall components more easily + in a much wider range of scenarios.

The 'Wall End Cap' tool goes part of the way but it would be amazing to be able to use it on multiple components at once + in the middle of Walls rather than just at the ends.

This is using two unjoined Walls + Wall End Cap tool but not a practical way to go about doing it at the moment:

494016038_Screenshot2022-05-09at09_08_24.thumb.png.58a952b908cbd6cf2664c3aaef91e961.png   276839212_Screenshot2022-05-09at09_09_43.thumb.png.ec08f91fe5679649acab8fa7bf9d468d.png   

630282395_Screenshot2022-05-09at09_10_26.thumb.png.87acf432c2bbd33bccdbc9c2f5043c54.png

• Like 3