Layer Organization

Is there a way to organize layers based on type? For example, Finish Floor or Ceiling Layers to be under a Parent “Finish Floors” or “Ceilings” where the multiple Finish Floors or Ceilings can be found for the various stories. The same for framing plans, slab plans, etc.  

1 hour ago, lfm1791 said:

Thank you all! Hopefully this is something VW is working on so you can group layers based on standard practice clasification.

It’s entertaining to see your posts about how Vectorworks should behave as a new user from Revit.  I came to Vectorworks from Autocad and had similar reactions.

The sooner you give up on changing Vectorworks into Revit and take some time to get properly training, the sooner you will be happy and productive.  Visit Vectorworks University, take the Fundamentals course to get the basics software organization and interface down.  The take the Architectural learning path.  You will find Vectorworks will do almost everything you need, just in a different way.  Just don’t ask how to stack wall finished 🙂

Or, you can keep posting these Vectorworks ain’t Revit comments.  Eventually, skilled contributors here will stop helping you.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, halfcoupler said:

Last year I worked on a project with over 100 individual drawings, each on a seperate design- and sheet layers.

To keep control over this I grouped them by simply adding empty layers between each group. Not perfect, but it worked.

Actually, I use blank layers to break up my list of layers. This allows you to organize anyway you would like, and if instituted in your template, will make locating layers (and saved views by the way) much simpler. 

Jeff - I appreciate the feedback and I have been going through many of the videos. They are helpful. It is fair for anyone coming in from other platforms to ask questions relative to what they have done for years. I do not believe many share the sentiment that you have as this is to be an informational and educational forum. If the intent is not assist, then this forum should not exist. 

thank you!

1 hour ago, lfm1791 said:

Jeff - I appreciate the feedback and I have been going through many of the videos. They are helpful. It is fair for anyone coming in from other platforms to ask questions relative to what they have done for years. I do not believe many share the sentiment that you have as this is to be an informational and educational forum. If the intent is not assist, then this forum should not exist. 

thank you!

I was just trying to help.  Good luck.

7 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

I don't believe they are, but this is something I would like too.

How would that work with the Top/Plan stacking order of the layers? If you want to see all the 'Finish Floor' layers together in a group don't you just create a 'finish floor' filter? I have probably misunderstood the question. I've not seen Revit

19 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

How would that work with the Top/Plan stacking order of the layers? If you want to see all the 'Finish Floor' layers together in a group don't you just create a 'finish floor' filter? I have probably misunderstood the question. I've not seen Revit

Stacking can still work. In fact I already bunch slab, floor, ceiling layers together on some projects. Slabs in a bunch at the bottom, floors in between and ceilings above. 

We could have a couple of new non-layer items alongside New Design Layer and New Sheet Layer:

1. New Group - you'd get a choice to add layers when you create the Group, or you could drag layers into the Group once it's created.
  2. New Divider - for adding a visible divider between layers that isn't actually a layer

I'd like this for Design Layers but I'd especially like to be able to group my Sheet Layers.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 4
7 hours ago, jeff prince said:

It’s entertaining to see your posts about how Vectorworks should behave as a new user from Revit.  I came to Vectorworks from Autocad and had similar reactions.

The sooner you give up on changing Vectorworks into Revit and take some time to get properly training, the sooner you will be happy and productive.  Visit Vectorworks University, take the Fundamentals course to get the basics software organization and interface down.  The take the Architectural learning path.  You will find Vectorworks will do almost everything you need, just in a different way.  Just don’t ask how to stack wall finished 🙂

Or, you can keep posting these Vectorworks ain’t Revit comments.  Eventually, skilled contributors here will stop helping you.

"The sooner you give up on changing Vectorworks",

and this is true of working with any CAD; it's about picking the right tool and then setting your mindset for that tool, all CAD's differ on some many levels so with VW you need your VW hat on, likewise with ACAD, Rhino, Sketchup etc.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Christiaan said:

Stacking can still work. In fact I already bunch slab, floor, ceiling layers together on some projects. Slabs in a bunch at the bottom, floors in between and ceilings above. 

We could have a couple of new non-layer items alongside New Design Layer and New Sheet Layer:

1. New Group - you'd get a choice to add layers when you create the Group, or you could drag layers into the Group once it's created.
  2. New Divider - for adding a visible divider between layers that isn't actually a layer

I'd like this for Design Layers but I'd especially like to be able to group my Sheet Layers.

I think this notion of grouping sheet layers is a good and important idea.  I frequently create sets for different phases of design or iterations of a particular sheet during schematic design.  Grouping sheets would be a nice way to organize the sheets into relevant stacks.  Same logic for design layers applies.

• Like 1