Exclude parent symbol in report with INSYMBOL

Hi all,

I'm creating a report of a layer in which a symbol exists. The symbol itsself exists of other symbols.

In my report, I only want the child symbols to display, without the parent symbol.

This is what I have so far:

=DATABASE((INSYMBOL) & (L=A1) & (T=SYMBOL))

Where L=A1 refers to the (design)layer on which the symbol exists

Which returns: 

image.png.4288c8f5528094b7ee4dba7a55e7369c.png

The highlighted row is the parent symbol which I want to exclude from the report.

I suppose I can change the L=A1 reference to the symbol itsself, but I'd like to know if I can exclude it if I refer to the layer in which the symbol exists.

Does anyone know how to achieve this?

I didn't have any luck looking for a solution on my own.

Thanks in advance!

There is no easy way to exclude a random "parent" symbol and only include sub symbols.  Michael's way of specifically excluding it is about the best.

Or if you have multiple parent symbols and they change often, attach a record to them an exclude items that have that record attached. Or do something similar with classes if you are not using them for other things.

The InSymbol criteria is additive meaning that it will get you everything that matches the criteria EVEN IF it is inside a symbol. There is no exclusive criteria like InSymbolOnly.  That might be a good wish list item.

• Like 3

My best friends in this case are record formats:

Child symbols get a special record format added, while parent symbols get not. (You can also do it the other way around).

You can then filter the report by "myrecordfomat = is present" => =DATABASE((R IN ['myrecordformat']))

Edited by halfcoupler
  • Like 3