Exterior Concrete Stair

How should I model an exterior concrete stair and landing where the concrete goes all the way down to the ground?  I modeled the stair using the stair feature however it angles the bottom of the stair like a stringer.  I thought about modeling it with the push/pull feature but am not sure how to do the sloped railing.

1 hour ago, jmhanby said:

How should I model an exterior concrete stair and landing where the concrete goes all the way down to the ground?  I modeled the stair using the stair feature however it angles the bottom of the stair like a stringer.  I thought about modeling it with the push/pull feature but am not sure how to do the sloped railing.

You have a few options.

• Configure the stair to look the way you want inside the Stair's options.
  • If that doesn't work, but you like the handrail, you can ungroup the Stair object to harvest the handrail.  You can then use that to compliment your push/pull stairs.
  • Worst case, you don't like any of it and need to form your own handrail.  This can be done by drawing the handrail in side elevation, which will then be used as the path for the ever popular and well understood "extrude along path" or EAP tool.

Here is an example of using the stair tool to get what you want on fairly simple stairs.

Note the use of both wood and concrete stairs, these are separate stair objects.

The purple footings are walls, not part of the stairs.

deck-example_orig.thumb.png.ec2b8ff1c97cd8f4cf977d97b9fe7452.png

• Like 3
Guest Frank Brault

The Simple Stair object, defaults to just this type. It is available in the Building Shell toolset in my workspace, but the location in your configuration depends on the product you are running. If the stair does not insert as desired, use the object Info Palette to set the Style parameter to Masonry. You can configure a lot of details that you may need, such as hand rail(s) and specific number of treads and riser height, either by double-clicking the tool icon before inserting or in the Object Info palette once the stair object is inserted in the drawing.

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 8.00.24 PM.png

Thank you for the response! I was just using the Architect workspace and found the different stair tools under the Architect/BIM workspace.  I was able to make the stairs correctly however now I can't edit the handrail!  Always something.  🙂 What is the difference between the workspaces and why wouldn't the handrail edit like in the other stair mode?  So much to learn!

The difference is that each stair tool was written by a different person/group who had different needs when they wrote the specification for the tool at very different times in the development of VW.

You don't get the best of all possible worlds, so pick the tool that give you closest to what you want and then modify the results from there to meet your needs.

• Like 2