linking models to save time

Jonathan P

Question

I am trying to work on multiple models and have them all follow 1 original model.

i am new to vectorworks. basically in other programs such as sketchup you can create components of an original main model and they will all follow it when making changes without having to change every single one.

In vectoworks i designed a townhouse which i copied 5 times next to each other and i need them all to follow the main model so i dont have to jump into each one and manually change each one. I will waste alot of time doing this.

14 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Jonathan P said:

I am trying to work on multiple models and have them all follow 1 original model.

i am new to vectorworks. basically in other programs such as sketchup you can create components of an original main model and they will all follow it when making changes without having to change every single one.

In vectoworks i designed a townhouse which i copied 5 times next to each other and i need them all to follow the main model so i dont have to jump into each one and manually change each one. I will waste alot of time doing this.

@Jonathan P@Pat Stanford is exactly correct. I my practice I find that many times I will have built something, made several copies then find I need changes throughout.  AS you mention, YERS, incredu=ibly tedious to re-make each and every one. So: Make the item a symbol and then I would try the menu choice "Modify: Convert: Replace with Symbol…". See screenshot attached. Sometimes things don't end up quite where I want them to in the 'replace' action, but I believe that's due to me not taking the time to place the item to become a symbol @ the appropriate spot (usually center of projection)

Edited by mjm
Added a video
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Jonathan P said:

I DID THE SYMBOL MODE, BUT LOOKS LIKE THE WALLS DISAPEARED AFTER I ATTEMPTED THE SYMBOL.

I THINK ITS BECAUSE I HAVE THE LEVELS LINKED TO STORIES, WHICH MADE THE WALLS DISAPEAR.

@Jonathan P Sorry, as I don't need stories in my practice, I got nothin' for ya. 🙁

Lots of people here happy to help, but it really sounds like you need to take a step back and give us more information about exactly what you are doing and what you have tries so far.

Two other things:

1. ALL CAPITAL LETTERS IS EQUIVALENT TO SHOUTING AT US. PLEASE DON'T.

2. Please lick on your user name at the top right of this page and choose Account Settings. From there choose Signature on the left and put in a signature showing the VW Version, Operating System, and maybe your hardware specification. These things effect a lot of the recommendations that are made here and make helping you much easier.

30 minutes ago, Jonathan P said:

I DID THE SYMBOL MODE, BUT LOOKS LIKE THE WALLS DISAPEARED AFTER I ATTEMPTED THE SYMBOL.

I THINK ITS BECAUSE I HAVE THE LEVELS LINKED TO STORIES, WHICH MADE THE WALLS DISAPEAR.

Yes Walls won't recognise Story Levels or Layer Wall Heights when placed within symbols so you'll need to set the heights manually if you go down this route. 

34 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Yes Walls won't recognise Story Levels or Layer Wall Heights when placed within symbols so you'll need to set the heights manually if you go down this route. 

Hi @Tom W.-thanks for that info & but does that mean that every iteration of the symbol needs adjusting, or just the original symbol?

43 minutes ago, mjm said:

Hi @Tom W.-thanks for that info & but does that mean that every iteration of the symbol needs adjusting, or just the original symbol?

No just the symbol definition. It will behave like a normal symbol in that respect, just the Walls will no longer be connected to the Stories. I believe the same would be the case if you went down the DLVP route instead

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Jonathan P said:

A. Sounds like you either have one model of a townhouse floorpan that is copied multiple times to form a townhouse block

or

B. You have one model of a townhouse consisting of several units and it is copied multiple times around a site.

As Pat mentioned, it's hare to advise based on the lack of info.

However, in either case I outlined you will want to put your unique building in one file and then reference that into a separate file where the duplication will happen.  This will give you the ability to work on a single model and have the duplicates update automatically in either option A or B.  If you are doing option A, you can take all those duplicated references and group them within the second file which will allow you to move them around a site efficiently.  Stories, if used, will not be effected in the site file.  Here's an example:

Building File

1750620040_ScreenShot2022-05-05at9_00_24PM.thumb.png.09764b7eb386fbb5b0484302ab9a6acc.png

Site file with building referenced into it.  Referenced copied to form a townhouse block, site modified added, then grouped.  Groups copied around the site.  Building changes done in one file, updates 9 instances 🙂

794991224_ScreenShot2022-05-05at9_05_40PM.thumb.png.c23b5d7faa66a9dcb9e9e95ef6e4c19c.png

512907728_ScreenShot2022-05-05at8_59_58PM.thumb.png.f2bd7ad977abd04f170737129b63911e.png

• Like 1

One thing to say about referencing a building model file into a site file is that in my experience at least you can lose stuff in translation. I have used both referenced DLVPs + Layer Import Referencing + in both cases suffered problems, mostly with Roof/Wall clipping settings being lost in the referenced geometry but also custom door leaves not displaying. Plus I have a file where one particular wall stubbornly refuses to display it's textures in the reference + shows instead as wireframe, despite looking correct in the source file + nothing I do seems to correct it.

I have been waiting months for a response from Tech Support on this but not had one yet. Of the two methods Layer Import Referencing seems the more reliable/dependable. Very depressing when you have a beautiful model in one file then you reference it into the site model file + discover something is not displaying correctly, like one of the roof components is sticking out the side of the building, + there's nothing you can do about it apart from make that component invisible. Fine for external views but not if you want to take sections through the building.

The custom door leaves displaying as blank white flush leaves there was nothing I could do apart from start again using Layer Import Referencing instead of DLVPs + found that using this method they displayed correctly.

I don't think I've seen anyone else describing the same experiences + like I say Tech Support have been sent the files but are ignoring me. It feels like there are a couple of quite specific bugs but perhaps it's only me + for everyone else it's been trouble-free

• Like 1