Hidden line render mode issue - Lines/entire objects not showing

Frank_IT

Question

Good morning everybody,

my name is Francesco and I am a Vectoworks user with very limited experience. Also, this is my firs post in the forum so apologies if I break some rules.

I have an issue I can't seem to work around regarding hiddenl line render mode on viewports.

If I render a top plan view (not the regular 2D plan view) in perspective (either straight by option menu or a personal value), the resulting viewport will consistently have the same issue: vectorworks won't render some lines (bottom of the baseboard) or entire elements (everything but the net opening in windows) (IMG-01), while everything works perfectly fine in the design layer with the exact same settings for HL render, classes and layers (IMG-02).

The same problem is not present in a perspective section cut (IMG-03).

In IMG-04 and 05, you can see that shaded and x-ray render modes show a perfect representation of the model.

If I cut a an horizontal section instead, the problem is solved but either doing so with a clip cube or with the "creat horizontal section cut" command results in very funny perspective and camera issues when switching from orthogonal view (IMG-06)... If anybody could solve these, then this might be workaround I needed!

Also, the problem is not resolved by changing the class, the attributes or the type of the windows and dashboards.

This is happening on both my PC and my laptop and I don't recall having this issue up until very recently. I was working on a furniture job, one dark day it happened.

I might be over anxious but I sincerely hope this is not a core problem... I hope it's lil' ol' me messing up.

PS: you see one more window in the section cut because I wanted to see if bringing in an unstyled element solved the problem, which it does not.

Thanks a lot to whoever will answer this, bye!

20220505-IMG-01-Top view design layer.jpg

20220505-IMG-02-Top view sheet layer.jpg

20220505-IMG-03-Section cut sheet layer.jpg

20220505-IMG-04-Shaded mode sheet layer.jpg

20220505-IMG-05-X-ray mode sheet layer.jpg

20220505-IMG-06-Orizontal SC.jpg

5 answers to this question

You have not given enough of the important information, and also too much information overall!  I suspect your problem has to do with layer settings or class settings.  If you want someone to try to answer your question, get it down to 1 wall with 1 window, select a window so we can see the information in the OIP, and tell us what your view settings are (wireframe, hidden line, etc.) in a clear way.  Try to make your question as simple as possible.

10 hours ago, P Retondo said:

You have not given enough of the important information, and also too much information overall!  I suspect your problem has to do with layer settings or class settings.  If you want someone to try to answer your question, get it down to 1 wall with 1 window, select a window so we can see the information in the OIP, and tell us what your view settings are (wireframe, hidden line, etc.) in a clear way.  Try to make your question as simple as possible.

Thank you for your answer!

I presume it would be best to share the whole file: I have an italian version of VW and I believe there would be a substantial linguistic problem if I shared the OIP or class and layers settings!

It is the exact same file the screenshot were taken from.

EDIT: since the problem presented, I don't remember having made any changes to my classes, classes override, layers or plug-in elements.

20220505-VI-01-002-Hidden lines perspective SC.vwx

Edited by Frank_IT
2 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

@Frank_IT, Turning off the "Display 2D Components" option off in the Object Info palette for the viewport should fix the issue.

Sir, you have LITERALLY saved my life and I have no proper way to thank you!

Seriously, you just uplifted my very soul!

So how do I mark this thread as solved, if such a thing ever existed?

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
20 minutes ago, Frank_IT said:

Sir, you have LITERALLY saved my life and I have no proper way to thank you!

Seriously, you just uplifted my very soul!

So how do I mark this thread as solved, if such a thing ever existed?

Your reply is more than enough thanks and you're very welcome! 🙂 

I don't think there's any way to mark this as "solved" so no worries about that.

To elaborate on the "Display 2D Components" setting:  For regular viewports, that option is only considered when the viewport is rendered in Hidden Line and is set to Top, Bottom, Left, Right, Front, or Back view.  However, it really only makes sense when the Projection is set to "Orthogonal".

• Like 1