Plant Style - Generate 3D Graphics

Shane W

Question

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what's going on.  

I'm using the plant tool, adding some new plants as I go.. and having no trouble using "Generate" in the Edit Plant Style > Graphics > 3D Graphics to create some models for the trees. ..until suddenly they no longer appear as normal shaded models, but instead only as wireframe. All the options (volume, shell etc are affected). 

I have no idea why. I didn't change any graphics/render settings. Now every time I go to set that, they only show as wireframes.

I can view the previous ones I did as shaded models, but if I go to edit them they will only give me wireframe, so I have to cancel to back out. 

I can't see any 'setting' that makes them appear differently, and I tried closing and restarting to no avail. 

Has anyone had this before?

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 12.15.25.png

6 answers to this question

On 5/5/2022 at 4:21 PM, jeff prince said:

This will happen in VWX 2022 (probably other versions too), when you have your class Fill set to 'none' and 'use at creation' activated for the class the plant sits on.

Hope it helps... 

Thanks for responding @jeff prince

I'm still a bit confused as all of my proposed plants are set to class 'None' with Fill attributes as solid. 

Is there another setting I should look at? ..or should I move all those plants to another Class?

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 12.58.51.png

Edited by Shane W
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Shane W said:

Thanks for responding @jeff prince

I'm still a bit confused as all of my proposed plants are set to class 'None' with Fill attributes as solid. 

Is there another setting I should look at? ..or should I move all those plants to another Class?

My pleasure.  It looks like your settings are correct, but it's hard to be sure.  Perhaps you could post the file, or at least a few of the problem plants?  Then we could look at it more closely to see what is going wrong.

5 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

My pleasure.  It looks like your settings are correct, but it's hard to be sure.  Perhaps you could post the file, or at least a few of the problem plants?  Then we could look at it more closely to see what is going wrong.

Thanks, I might have just found a workaround.. 

One thing I noticed is that if I imported the problem plants into a new file then edited the style, I could generate the 3D shell again.. Which is weird. 

I have imported the (now correctly generating 3D model) plant styles from the newly created document back into my project file  (overwriting the existing ones) and it seems to reset them..  

I'm still not sure what caused it, but that seems to allow me to move forwards. 

• Like 1

I just noticed this happen again to me in a new project file...  had to do the above trick and insert the plant into a new document, generate the 3D graphics and then re-place it in the original project - replacing the style with the new one..   

Though today, it creates a new issue. 

I can generate the 3D graphics (Shell3) ok, but as soon as I save it.. the 2D graphics no longer display properly (as pictured).

No apparent settings have been changed in classes or visibilities. 

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this?

I have a dedicated folder of screenshots on my computer for all the weird Vectorworks graphics errors, weirdness and misbehaviour, but it's starting to really get frustrating because it's affecting my workflow due to the amount of time I have to spend working around or troubleshooting it. 

Insight would be very welcome.

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 10.25.53.png