OUCH!! Section Viewports can't render in 12.0.1

Ramon PG

quote:

Originally posted by bohlr:

Section viewports in file created with 12.0 rendered fine with 12.1

Renderworks "rendering" or hidden line "rendering". The only thing I get is hidden line. I'll try to do a setup with both 12.0.0 and 12.0.1 running side by side.

Actually I first notice something strange when I could not find the Section Line Instance and now I realize that I cannot attach one either.

Now what?

[ 02-17-2006, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Ramon, before you do anything drastic, I recommend you follow Andrew Bell's advice above, and contact Tech Support. I'm able to create section viewports in 12.0.1 and render them as desired (in HL, OpenGL, and RenderWorks modes.) It may be possible that yours is a limited case, and can be worked around...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Ramon, I took a look at your problem. I did a fresh install of 12.0.1, and am unable to reproduce this problem. All my SVPs render in HL, OpenGL, and all other attempted modes. The fact that you were seeing the problem (if briefly) in 12.0.0 suggests to me that something may be strange with the document itself. Are you seeing this on multiple documents?

So I think what is happening here is something questionable about your 12.0.1 installation. If you're unsure about using 12.0.1, duplicate your installed 12.0.0 folder before updating and update one of the VW folders, so you will have both 12.0.0. and 12.0.1.

I really don't think this is a problem with 12.0.1, as it's utterly unreproducable here. (That doesn't mean I don't think it's a problem, it just means that we have to look elsewhere!)

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Anderson:

Ramon, I took a look at your problem. I did a fresh install of 12.0.1, and am unable to reproduce this problem. .... The fact that you were seeing the problem (if briefly) in 12.0.0 suggests to me that something may be strange with the document itself.

OR... maybe a fresh install is what is needed. Maybe the installer program is not working properly when upgrading. It is obvious from the posts that almost everyone having problems do so when using an existing or old drawing with a new VW version. This should have been also obvious to NNA Tech since we all use "old" drawings as templates, no? The odd thing here is that some of us have the same problems even when using different OSs.

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Anderson:

If you're unsure about using 12.0.1, duplicate your installed 12.0.0 folder before updating and update one of the VW folders, so you will have both 12.0.0. and 12.0.1.

I am a bit apprehensive about this. Won't the installer delete or upgrade to 12.0.1 supporting files outside the VW folder that are now used by 12.0.0?

[ 02-18-2006, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]

Thanks for the concern, Robert.

I am working with v12.0.0 again.

I had been working with the doc for about an hour getting no Renderworks rendering, just hidden line. The Section Viewports would not render in v12.0.0 now.

#@$&^$%

I kept trying to "reconnect" the Line Instance since it now will not show a check mark no matter how many times I try. Strangely, the linking does work flawlessly, but still no check mark.

I duplicate the SVP and set it for Final RW, trying anything different to see what happens. Suddenly, it RWs again !!!! All SVPs render as set. This is really spooky.

Still, I am really apprehensive a bout going into 12.0.1 again.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Ramon PG:

I kept trying to "reconnect" the Line (sic) Instance since it now will not show a check mark no matter how many times I try. Strangely, the linking does work flawlessly, but still no check mark.

Still can't get the Instance to show. No checkmark!!