Importing MVR to VW issue

Hi everyone.

I having an issue and maybe someone here can help me.

When I want to import a mvr file from another program to vw. The measures are not the same, I tried changing the units to be sure that the units in the original drawing are the same that the vw. I tried meter, millimiters, feet, inches everything and when I import the file into vw all the measures are wrong. 

I work with anothers visualization software and also with others designers and programmers and we found mvr it is a great way to exchange files, but for some reason when I import mvr files generated from another programs distances are all wrong, that doesn't happen when I export from vw to mvr. 

thanks

PS I m using VW 2020

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @ELP

What application is the MVR being created in?

Its possible that the program exporting the original MVR is not exporting the format correctly, or that it is using the 1.2 standard, which in theory shouldn't cause a problem but may well do so since you are on 2020.

The support for the GDTF 1.2 was only added in 2022 sp3, as it required us to add support for the GLTf file format, which was a fairly major project by itself.

Otherwise you could try looking in the general scene description xml inside the MVR and check what the coordinates are for some of the objects, they should be in mm to 5 or 6 decimal places

You will need to change the file extension to .zip to do so

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Iam seeing problems with importing an MVR that comes from WYSIWYG R48/49. Vectorworks will stop responding after a while, when I have selected import geometry and data. When select geometry only its done quite fast. But it's not importing all the trussing it looks like that it refuse to import the prolyte S36R trusses. And all the fixtures are boxes, with the correct instrument data so I only have to replace them. (why can't we set the correct lighting devices in the import MVR menu, as other programs do.......)

I'm working with Vectorworks 2022 SP4, on a Macbook M1 Max.

Kind Regards,

Erik-Jan Berendsen

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, EJ Berendsen said:

Iam seeing problems with importing an MVR that comes from WYSIWYG R48/49. Vectorworks will stop responding after a while, when I have selected import geometry and data. When select geometry only its done quite fast. But it's not importing all the trussing it looks like that it refuse to import the prolyte S36R trusses.

Have you tried doing partial imports, only including a single object type at a time? (by unticking the import column in the object types pane)
Its possible that Spotlight is having difficulties due to the number of mesh objects coming in at once, so breaking the import down into smaller chunks may help,
If this doesn't help can you DM the file so I can take a look?

20 minutes ago, EJ Berendsen said:

why can't we set the correct lighting devices in the import MVR menu, as other programs do

This would not be necessary if the other programs supported GDTF files, the idea of MVR and GDTF is to remove the need for manual mapping of imported data like this.
If a valid GDTF is included in the file for each fixture type then Spotlight will display the GDTF geometry without needing any extra mapping dialogue.

• 10 months later...

As the GLTF library is very limited still compared to the library of ‘Spotlight’ fixtures, it would be great to be able to associate a certain fixture from the Vectorworks library to the ‘long fixture id’ from the mvr file. This is especially helpful if you go back and forth between Vectorworks and other software (where you can do things like change the patch, change an accessory, etc. )

What is the "long fixture id"? In Vectorworks you can associate a lighting device with any GDTF file.
In order to use a MVR for data exchange a lighting device must have a GDTF associated with the device in MVR.

There are multiple types of UUIDs in use. There is one UUID that is used in the MVR to link an object in the drawing to an entry in the MVR and is unique to the file.
There is another UUID in the GDTF that uniquely identifies the GDTF file.
I think what you really want is the UUID from the GDTF not the UUID from the MVR.

Associating the UUID from the GDTF to a symbol in Vectorworks is on wish list.

• Like 1