Changes to Geo referncing VW21 to 22

Hi All,

I have noticed a difference in how, or more where, geo-referenced geomoetry appears in VW22.

Using VW21 geo referenced object imported with XY coordinated which matched the northing and easting coordinates of its GDA94 or GDA2020 location. Very sensible and useful.

613664385_VW21geoscreenshot.thumb.png.c2a5fbcc96d80b600a147bef83214d1e.png

Since upgrading to VW22 This is no longer the case with object appearing at an XY coordinate that I cant seem to relate to any CRS.

93090606_VW22geoscreenshot.thumb.png.1da2a38d3045c5cd69e131734239bd95.png

This also manifests that shapefiles or other geo-referenced exports the were correct in VW21 are now exporting to a different location when the same file is opened in VW22.

I am very keen to get VW22 to behave as I had 21 set up to do as I often import GPS waypoint as 2D loci using northing and easting coordinates that need to match the XY coordinates in the VW file.

Look forward to hearing peoples thoughts on this.

Tim

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tim Lathouris said:

Look forward to hearing peoples thoughts on this.

Just another workflow they “fixed”, creating many un billable hours for the user.

good news, there is a georeferencing course on Vectorworks University which has some dubbed over or inserted clips that explain how the new method works.  Keeps your geo close to the user origin and preserves coordinates.

• Like 2

Don't know if it's a different thing in 2022 but I'm getting different locations on imported/exported geometry that is set to be georeferenced depending on if I've set the user origin to the internal or the georeferenced coordinate system. To my mind the point of georeferencing should be a common location that is non-dependant on the respective user origins but I must say that I've struggled with the georeferencing since I started in VW. I typically deal with lots of other consultants/files so I've spent endless hours on this issue and I still get unexpected results. I was planning to do some structured trials with the georeferencing for my own understanding and to open up a discussion about it but work keeps getting in the way 🙂 

Edited by Anders Blomberg
On 4/29/2022 at 2:34 AM, Tom W. said:

What were the changes to Georeferencing brought in with VW2022? I wasn't aware of anything changing... Everything works the same for me. What is the 'new method'?

The changes happened in 2020, SP3 I believe.  They made it a tad easier to sort out the internal & user origins.

Concerned by @Tim Lathouris description of his issue since I’ll have to move to 2022 eventually, I decided to test things out.

I just set up a project in 2021, setting the georeferencing, importing a geoimage, importing the .dwg survey, and a .shp file.  I then opened it in 2022, no strange behavior.

I then repeated the process from scratch in 2022.  It works exactly the same.

Within 2022, I then imported a past georeferenced project over 20 miles away into this same test project.  Both of these projects include town boundaries for the entire state of Maine,  so it’s a very large test.  Everything lined up and behaves as expected.

Within 2021, the last test was repeated, same results.

This leads me to believe Tim may be setting up his georeferencing incorrectly or perhaps he is importing VWX files with different internal and/or user origin settings.  That can create the behavior described.

Side note, it took VWX 2021 about 5 minutes to import a shape file and my fans went crazy.  The same task in 2022 took 1 minute and no fan noise.  Maybe they changed something for the better after all 🙂

• Like 2