VW Installed Python Modules?

Is there a list of installed Python Modules for VW2022?

I am looking to use tkinter to store some text to the clipboard in a cross platform script. From looking in the VW App, it appears that tkinter is there, but when I try to use tkinter it can't be found.

I know tkinter for dialogs is discourages, but what about for other functions?

Can I specify the path as part of the use tkinter?

Newbie to Python. Hating the captilazation and white space delimiting. 😉

Thanks for any help.

• Laugh 1

tkinter could be installed with the Marionette python Modul importer. But at the Moment this maybe also not work out of the box. And by using tkinter I had negative effects resp. some functions maybe additional code to make it run in an embedded python.

Maybe off-topic. For Crossplatform Clipboard, this script could be used:

import math
import os
import subprocess

major, minor, maintenance, platform = vs.GetVersion()

text = 'Hello World'

def addToClipBoardWin(text):
	command = 'echo ' + text.strip() + ' | clip'
	os.system(command)

def addToClipBoardMac(text):
	process = subprocess.Popen('pbcopy', env={'LANG': 'en_US.UTF-8'}, stdin=subprocess.PIPE)
	process.communicate(text.encode('utf-8'))

if platform == 1:
	addToClipBoardMac(str(text))
else:
	addToClipBoardWin(str(text))

• Like 4
On 4/29/2022 at 3:36 PM, Jayme McColgan said:

a down and dirty way is to look at the site-packages folder... 

/Applications/Vectorworks 2022/Vectorworks 2022.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages

It's there.

I don't understand what is going on, I file now a report and hopefully @K.Lalkovski can get a look into that.

Edit: no, decided not to file a report. Tkinter is not working easily anywhere, particularly on Mac, and there is even the limit of it being somehow commercial.

Edited by _c_
  • Like 1

On a side note, heres a snippet that lists out all installed modules for your python environment (adapted for vectorworks, by adding vs.CreateText(), to be run on design/sheet layer). 

def list_modules():
    import pkg_resources
    installed_packages = {d.project_name: d.version for d in pkg_resources.working_set}
    # print(pkg_resources.working_set)
    text_data = []
    for k, v in installed_packages.items():
        # print(f"{k} : {v}")
        text_data.append(f"{k} : {v}")

import vs
    vs.CreateText(f"{vs.Chr(13)}".join(text_data))

Edited by twk
  • Like 3
On 5/1/2022 at 4:05 AM, _c_ said:

It's there.

I don't understand what is going on, I file now a report and hopefully @K.Lalkovski can get a look into that.

Edit: no, decided not to file a report. Tkinter is not working easily anywhere, particularly on Mac, and there is even the limit of it being somehow commercial.

Are you sure @_c_?  In my clean install of VW2022SP3, tkinter is not in the site-packages folder.

It is in:

/Applications/Vectorworks 2022/Vectorworks 2022.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9

@DomC gave me what I need without it, so I didn't try moving it to site-packages. I don't have enough Python experience to know it it can just be moved or if there needs to be an official install done.