advanced roof modeling

I thought I'd add more of a layman's "how to" example:

To create an eave profile like Michael K brought up early in this thread, where the primary framing is something like 2x12 and the eaves are cut down to 2x6, you could try this method:

Draw a polygon around the perimeter of the building; Create a Roof with a thickness equal to the primary framing. Set the Eave setting to .1 inches, or some other insignificant value (it doesn't like an eave of 0). Once you've got the gables, etc. worked out, Frame it (with the appropriate framing members). Group the rafters together

Then, go back to your roof object, reset the thickness to that of your eave members (or not, this may not matter, but is a habit from earlier versions of VW). Change the eave setting to that of the overhang (say 24") and check the box that says "apply to entire roof", then Frame it (with the appropriate members). Group these members also.

You should now have two totally identical roof framing systems. Change your view to elevation and adjust the eave rafter group upward, so that the ridges align with the primary framing rafters.

Return to your roof object and reset it's thickness to that of the sheathing and the roofing (say 1"). Return to elevation and adjust it so that it sits on top of the framing systems. You can then apply the roofing texture to this component.

The two framing systems will merge when viewed in Open GL or Final Quality RW. They will also read correctly in plan.

For the fascias, gutters, barge trim, etc... I typically model all of these as rafers or extrudes, or using the beam tool. Then I class them so that they are on a "model" layer.

Good luck!

another possibility is to frame the roof using using rafters with no eave overhang and a thickness that you desire. then model whatever you'd like for a rafter tail as a 3d polygon, make that polygon a symbol, and then place the rafter tail symbol at the ends of all the rafters. that way if you ever want to change the eave profile, you just have to modify the symbol and everything updates automatically.

Hello All, my two rules of thumb (maybe there are more, but I'm still on my first cup of coffee!): 1) Model it as close to "real" as you can. That means that the roof is to be built from 2 x 12's cut to 2 x 6's for the eave, then model/draw it that way. But if it is to be built of 11 7/8" material (TJI's, BCI's) with applied tails, then it should be modeled/drawn like that. 2) Model it so that the result can be used both as a 3d presentation tool AND turned into 2d WD's. This one is tricky, and I'm constantly refining how I do it. One thing's for sure: plenty of discreet layers and classes are needed!