Snapping 'timeout'

idris.davies

Question

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help. I've just updated from V-2019 up to V-2022 and am now struggling with the snaps timing out.

Essentially, I'll be working as normal but at random times the snaps will just stop working. They're still shown as on - buttons pressed - but I can't snap to anything at all. The work around is to switch a snap off and on again but it repeats regularly - maybe every 30mins or something... Just enough to be a real pain!

I've gone through topics on the forum but haven't found anything similar so this could be unique to my machine/system software...?

I'm running:

Vectorworks Architect 2022 SP3 on

Macbook Pro 2021,

macoS Monterey 12.2.1,

Apple M1 Pro chip and

32GB Memory.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

3 answers to this question

By your first part of your post I would have expected some issue with GPU.

Like a too weak onboard graphics on CPU only,

or assignment of the weaker onboard graphics to VW, instead of the better

dedicated GPU, in Energy Saving Settings or such.

But with your M1 Pro specs you are on the better side.

So all I see is that you could update your Monterey to latest 12.3 and retry ?

If that does not help I would contact VW support.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

Hi Idris, 

Zoomer has made a good suggestion, to ensure your operating system is up-to-date. This will help rule out issues that can sometimes arise when operating system and software have some incongruity. To me, the nature of the problem suggests the following are likely causes: 

Accidentally Disabling snapping… 

by double-tapping the ` key (backquote key) perhaps whilst tapping the Esc key which is right above it. See 'Setting snapping parameters' in Vectorworks Help

Defunct Vectorworks preference file…

The other probable cause (and seeing as you've checked the Snapping buttons are on, the most likely) is that one of Vectorworks preference files may contain a corruption. If you're satisfied the first possibility does not apply, try the following: 

(Specific for Mac users with Vectorworks 2022) 

1. Quit Vectorworks.
  2. Open Finder and do Shift-Command-G (or choose 'Go to Folder…' from the Go menu). 
  3. Paste in '~/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/2022/Settings' (without the single quote marks). 
  4. Rename file 'Vectorworks Preferences.xml' to 'xVectorworks Preferences.xml' to hide it from Vectorworks. 
  5. Reopen Vectorworks. 
    1. If the issue is gone: Go through Vectorworks Preferences and set them up again. 
    2. If the issue persists:
      1. Quit Vectorworks.
      2. Delete the newly created Vectorworks Preferences.xml file.
      3. Remove the 'x' from the original one. 
      4. Seek further assistance. 
  • Like 1

Hi Zoomer & Jeremy,

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions and apologies for the late reply! I'm not on here often and assumed I'd get an email when someone responded but clearly didn't.

Anyway, I'm glad to say that the problem has now gone and I suspect it went via an update.

Thanks again 👍👍