VW12 - Universal Drawing Borders and Title Blocks

rcarch

• 1 month later...

Was that last comment suppose to be helpful? I've been trying to adapt my title blocks also but I'm finding a clear description of how to assemble a document is not easily found in the manual. I have modified the Arch D title block symbol in the 00_Arch_Sheets.mcd file but getting this symbol to manifest itself in my document is proving to be a relatively tedious process. After running Document Setup, Model Setup and Create Standard viewports I can't seem to get that symbol to show up without importing it in my file and placing individual on the sheet layers after they have been created. Any help is appreciated. I took the time to tweak the 00_Arch_Sheets.mcd as described in A-5 of the Design Series manual and I'd like to get this to work.

What is a universal title block? I notice it isn't listed in either the fundamentals or design series manuals. After running Document Setup, Model Setup and Create Standard viewportse I tried to run issue manager and it asks me for this. I'm afraid I'm still struggling to undrestand this. Any advice?

Okay, so I ran Document Setup, Model Setup and Create Standard viewports. After this I placed I the arch D symbol on each sheet layer manually. I started to run Issue Manager and it actually looked like it was behaving itself but I couldn't help noticing the following remark on page 21-3 on the Vectorworks Design Series Manual that If the project was set up with the Create Standard Viewports command some information has been automatically entered. For some reason this isn't happening for me. When I go back to create standard viewports after placing the sheet sympols and/or running the issue manager the application crashes on me. Any help is appreciated. I want to be able to get started with this version but I'm having trouble getting off the ground with a serious document.

Its probably a safe assumption I shouldn't have had to place those sheet symbols manually. Perhaps I should be asking where I should have selected the Arch D Sheet Symbol that is in the 00_Arch_Sheets.mcd. If I go to Document Setup Command initially I can't select a title block unless I choose a Drawing Border. If I choose no Drawing Border and if I choose any other option it places TWO elements on the page; the drawing border and the title block. But the title blocks upper left corner is centered in the middle of the page. Obviously this is not right. Sorry for all the posts but I feel like I'm getting close to the solution but I need a little help.

Thanks in advance.

Mike,

You should be able to use your customized Arch D Sheet Symbol with the new drawing border by doing the following:

1. Edit the symbol and remove all components except the title block geometry and text. (Don't forget the stuff in the NonPlot class.)

2. Group the title block geometry and text and move the group so that the bottom right corner of the title block is at 0, 0.

3. Ungroup the title block geometry and text and exit the symbol.

4. Save a copy of the drawing with your custom title block symbol in the folder "Libraries\Defaults\Drawing Border - Title Blocks"

Now when you run Document Setup, select a drawing border, and click the Title Block button, your custom title block will show up in the list of available title blocks. Select you custom title block and, after you run Model Setup, you can run Create Standard Viewports and you custom title block will be used with the drawing border. And, the title blocks will work with Issue Manager.

If you can?t get this to work, send me a drawing with your title block and I will see if I can get it to work.

Tom Urie

Nemetschek, N.A.

tomu@nemetschek.net

I THINK this is in effect what I wound up doing. This is in essence what is described in the fundamentals manual on 14-27 except I scavanged parts from the 00_Arch_Sheets.mcd file. Am I correct in assuming that by doing it this way the text is already linked to a record? I should point out that instead of placing the scavenged symbol into the Drawing Border -Title Blocks folder I simply imported the Arch D symbol in its modifed form via the resource browser from the 00_Arch_Sheets.mcd file. This seems to work okay. Issue Manager treats it like an old friend. I hope I haven't screwed that up.

For someone with a design series manual who has been reading about custom sheets it is hard to make sense of whether one should approach the sheet graphics (for lack of a better word) from either A) a Drawing Border approach as described on 14-27 of the fundamentals manual or B) a Sheet Symbol approach as described on A-5 of the design manual. Any guidance on what is recommended for architects (Drawing Border vs. Custom Sheet Symbol) is appreciated. There was a time with VW11 when modifiying sheet symbols and working with the issue manager is how I tried to do my work and i'm having a hard time letting go. The sentence on A-5 of the design manual that reads: "They [sheet symbols] are accessed automatically by the DOCUMENT SETUP commmand, which scales the symbols as necessary for the drawing scales in your file." strikes me as untrue at this point. Is there something I'm not understanding? Thanks for the help thus far Robert and Tom. Much appreciated.

Sorry, I posted this question and then promptly forgot about it as I moved onto other VW12 quirks. Michael, thanks for carrying the issue and Tom thanks for following it along. I will read thru everything and post any input that I might have.

Thanks again.

Mike,

I can now see why you are confused. The sheet symbols in 00_Arch_Sheets were left alone for legacy purposes but the documentation should have been revised with instructions on how to modify these symbols to be used with the new drawing border.

The preferred method for creating a custom title block is as described in the fundamentals manual. But if you are using sheet symbols from 00_Arch_Sheets, you should be able to continue to use those symbols by following the instructions from my earlier post.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The documentation will be updated and, hopefully, eliminate the confusion.

Tom Urie

Nemetschek, N.A.