How to control plant boundary area decimals?

gbland

I am using the plant tool to show sod are on a landscapes. The quantity type is set to Boundary area. When I display quantity in the tag it is showing 8 digits of decimal plances. How can I round it down to 1 or no decimal places?  Thanks

image.thumb.png.06eba85b9e7bc532e03c1a01f171bf72.png

Edited by gbland
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 6:42 PM, jeff prince said:

I think you need to change your document’s unit settings… area rounding to the desired # of decimals.

This is working for me in the sense that data tag precision reflects the document unit settings, but if I'm indicating a square footage of a landscape area this precision is not needed for the tag. That being said, I want a higher level of precision for drafting. Following this example, when I try to edit the precision of the Landscape Area surface area Tag Field (per other things I've read on the forum), I can't. From other reading it looks like I need to change the Data Tag units to something other than document units in order to adjust the precision, but you can see what I encounter below. Any thoughts?

image.png.3bafd0a71c726fb265bbb6c0728b77b2.png

1 hour ago, Will M said:

From other reading it looks like I need to change the Data Tag units to something other than document units in order to adjust the precision, but you can see what I encounter below. Any thoughts?

Hey Will,

In the case where you want high precision, but cleaner tag units....

You change your tag formula to handle the rounding and keep your document units set to where you want.

This formula will report the Landscape Area's name and then the area, specified in square feet with no decimal.

#Landscape Area#.#name##AREA##sq ft_0_1#

The attached file has some examples I just made for you.  Screen shots to show how the data tag configuration in this case should look.

Hope it helps.

2072706286_ScreenShot2022-05-10at7_00_07PM.thumb.png.eb70bd11e2a8051df889bb0031396ef6.png

What the included 2021 file looks like with a few different tag styles.

580287588_ScreenShot2022-05-10at7_11_17PM.thumb.png.0d4a53079a58d28fed423310f372e13c.png

LA datatag.vwx

• Like 3
19 hours ago, jeff prince said:

Hey Will,

In the case where you want high precision, but cleaner tag units....

You change your tag formula to handle the rounding and keep your document units set to where you want.

This formula will report the Landscape Area's name and then the area, specified in square feet with no decimal.

#Landscape Area#.#name##AREA##sq ft_0_1#

The attached file has some examples I just made for you.  Screen shots to show how the data tag configuration in this case should look.

Hope it helps.

2072706286_ScreenShot2022-05-10at7_00_07PM.thumb.png.eb70bd11e2a8051df889bb0031396ef6.png

What the included 2021 file looks like with a few different tag styles.

580287588_ScreenShot2022-05-10at7_11_17PM.thumb.png.0d4a53079a58d28fed423310f372e13c.png

LA datatag.vwx 172.5 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks Jeff. This is almost perfect. Our standard abbreviation is SF; can I set it up to use that instead of sq ft? I tried making some adjustments without luck.

And for my future understanding:

Does the 0 maintain the document units, and 1 specify the precision? I wish I could do this with the drop down but I'm locked out per my first screenshot. It looks like for some reason you can freely edit those in the dialog. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Will M said:

Thanks Jeff. This is almost perfect. Our standard abbreviation is SF; can I set it up to use that instead of sq ft? I tried making some adjustments without luck.

Does the 0 maintain the document units, and 1 specify the precision? I wish I could do this with the drop down but I'm locked out per my first screenshot. It looks like for some reason you can freely edit those in the dialog. 

Your data source is Object Parameters. You want to be using Object Function. Then uncheck 'Show Unit/Mark' + add 'SF' after the formula.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Your data source is Object Parameters. You want to be using Object Function. Then uncheck 'Show Unit/Mark' + add 'SF' after the formula.

This did the trick! Thank you. Is there somewhere I can read more about the use of Object Function vs Parameter? I had been looking for a more generic data tag that can add name labels regardless of the object type. Object Function looks to be suited to that.

2 hours ago, Will M said:

No problem.  It looks like Tom addressed your other questions so you should be off to a good start.

• Like 1