Import Custom Color Palette

yasin2ray

Question

I have made a custom color palette for the company. I would like to share it with the others in my office. Additionally, I work remotely and we share files through Microsoft OneDrive. How do I get the company custom color palette to them?

I used the Help Menu and it states "With the Color Palette Manager, create or import custom color palettes". I am looking at the Color Palette Manager and I do not see a way to import or export a color palette. I've attached a screenshot of what I see in the Color Palette Manager. I also did not find a way to share the custom color palette through the Resource Manager.

Thanks!

Anna

Custom Color Palette_how to share_import.jpg

9 answers to this question

Color Palettes can't be be shared as a resource, however, you can put Custom Color Palettes into the Libraries>Defaults>Color Palettes folder of a Workgroup Directory and then it will be shared with all those who have added the workgroup to their installation.

I've been doing this for years and it works across a number of machines.

Edited by markdd
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, markdd said:

Color Palettes can't be be shared as a resource, however, you can put Custom Color Palettes into the Libraries>Defaults>Color Palettes folder of a Workgroup Directory and then it will be shared with all those who have added the workgroup to their installation.

I've been doing this for years and it works across a number of machines.

Markdd,

How do you get the custom color palette file saved in that location? How do you update it when a change is made after it has been saved there?

Anna

44 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

The Palette is just part of a VW file. Save a VW file that has your preferred palette in the Libraries:Defaults:Color Palettes.

When you need to edit the palette you will have to hit it in the VW file in the Color Palettes folder.

I don't believe this is correct. Color palettes are .xml files and are program-wide.

Mark's method should be correct, though I have my custom palette in my User Folder since I don't use Workgroup folders. I can't remember how I got the file there in the first place. I think once you create a palette via the "New" button it should be saved in your User Folder automatically (?)

• Like 3

Actually, we are all correct.

You can put either an .XML or a .VWX file in the Library:Defaults:Color Palettes and it will be seen by VW when you open the Color Palette Manager. And it seems to load the files on each invocation of the Color Palette Manager so you don't even have to restart VW when you add a new file.

So if it is easier to maintain a VW file in the Workgroup with the palette then that might be the way to go.

Tested in VW2022SP3 in the User folder, not in a Workgroup folder.

• Like 3