Back References for Markers also

rudybeuc@gmail.com

Question

I would like to request that Callout Markers and Elevation/Section lines have access to the back reference parameter just like viewport labels do. 

Currently I’m making the transition from another BIM authoring software to VectorWorks.  Over the past few weeks I’ve been customizing viewport labels, callout markers, and section/elevation lines. I would like them to match the format my office, and family, has been using for decades. Attached is an example of a recent project. Also attached is the last project I hand drafted. The practices I use are the same as my Father and Grandfather utilized.

I wish to continue having my detail/section markers and labels match. This provides consistency and helps avoid confusing one section with an unrelated marker. I can do this currently in another BIM software and I wish to continue doing so in VectorWorks.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Sampel Project.pdf scan0341.pdf Detail Symbols.pdf

10 answers to this question

Ok, so the video shows how to have backreferences in the drawing label, but not in the detail callout or section lines linked to those viewports with the labels.

My goal is to have the information displayed in the detail callout and section line symbols, exactly like it is in the drawing labels. Therefore the callout and section lines need access to the callback functionality also.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

11 hours ago, jeff prince said:

I believe you will find this Jonathan Pickup video informative.

2 hours ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

Ok, so the video shows how to have backreferences in the drawing label, but not in the detail callout or section lines linked to those viewports with the labels.

My goal is to have the information displayed in the detail callout and section line symbols, exactly like it is in the drawing labels. Therefore the callout and section lines need access to the callback functionality also.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

The methods illustrated in the video can be applied to your specific use case.

Sorry, there must be a miscommunication because I don't believe the video demonstrates how to have the callback within the callout markers or section lines. It just shows how do do that in the drawing labels. 

What I want is to have the callouts and section lines match the drawing labels as I'm able to do in the software I utilize now.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Detail Sheet.jpg

Refrence Sheet.jpg

8 hours ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

Sorry, there must be a miscommunication because I don't believe the video demonstrates how to have the callback within the callout markers or section lines. It just shows how do do that in the drawing labels.

I do not currently use back referencing or markers the way you do.  So, I threw together a fake project from scratch to test the methods in Jonathan's video and your style of marker.

I think this example is the best you can hope for, which results in a well linked PDF allowing you to jump back and forth thru the set visually and is pretty close to your style, just lacking the backref in the actual detail callouts themselves.  Check out the attached file and get all clicky with your mouse 🙂

Now that I see how it works, I might have to add this feature to portions of my work.  I was previously using the default markers which create PDF links that take you to the more detailed drawings, but do not offer way back to get to where you started.  The attached example would make navigating plan sets on the iPad a lot easier in the field.  Thanks for raising the issue, I learned something as a result 🙂

LINKED DETAILS.pdf

• Like 4
2 hours ago, jeff prince said:

I do not currently use back referencing or markers the way you do.  So, I threw together a fake project from scratch to test the methods in Jonathan's video and your style of marker.

I think this example is the best you can hope for, which results in a well linked PDF allowing you to jump back and forth thru the set visually and is pretty close to your style, just lacking the backref in the actual detail callouts themselves.  Check out the attached file and get all clicky with your mouse 🙂

Now that I see how it works, I might have to add this feature to portions of my work.  I was previously using the default markers which create PDF links that take you to the more detailed drawings, but do not offer way back to get to where you started.  The attached example would make navigating plan sets on the iPad a lot easier in the field.  Thanks for raising the issue, I learned something as a result 🙂

LINKED DETAILS.pdf 6.69 MB · 1 download

This is really helpful Jeff thank you for posting I'd never taken the time to look at this feature so very useful to see it in action. I've always published my sheets as separate PDFs but can see the advantage of doing it this way instead now. Out of interest what happens to those links if the sheets ARE published as separate PDFs?

• Like 2
16 hours ago, jeff prince said:

I was previously using the default markers which create PDF links that take you to the more detailed drawings, but do not offer way back to get to where you started.

This is what I have: in my PDF I can click on the Detail Callout + it takes me to the Detail Viewport on the other page. But if I then click on the Back Reference on the Detail Viewport Drawing Label nothing happens: in your PDF I click on the relevant text field on the drawing label + it takes me back to the source sheet. I also watched a MegabitsNZ video that suggested this functionality is there by default but not in my tests... Hmm...

2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

in your PDF I click on the relevant text field on the drawing label + it takes me back to the source sheet.

That's because I followed Jonathan's instructions when building my drawing markers used in the example I posted 🙂

How did you build yours??

17 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Out of interest what happens to those links if the sheets ARE published as separate PDFs?

The links remain, but they are not functional.  In Acrobat, you can edit the links to point at a file or perform other actions.  Which, as you can imagine, is a giant pain when dealing with separate files.

5 hours ago, jeff prince said:

The links remain, but they are not functional.

Well this shows my ignorance I had no idea that the forward links from Detail Callouts, Reference Markers + Section-Elevation Lines were all being created automatically + already existed in my files. All I needed to do was publish the sheets as a single PDF with multiple pages rather than as separate individual PDFs...!

5 hours ago, jeff prince said:

That's because I followed Jonathan's instructions when building my drawing markers used in the example I posted 🙂

How did you build yours??

The same way. I also looked at this video: 

To be honest other than specifying the '#Drawing Label2#.#BackRefSheetNo#' parameter for the text field there's not a lot else to do. And what's weird is that as I've added viewports to the file, using the same Drawing Label throughout, I've found that the backward links for viewports with Section-Elevation Lines DO work whilst the backward links to viewports with Reference Markers + Detail Callouts do NOT. So it doesn't appear to be a problem with the drawing label as it works in some instances + not others... Was the same whether viewing the PDF in Acrobat Reader or Preview. Oh well this was only for fun so no big deal, hopefully if/when I do it for real it decides to play ball. But glad to have spent a bit of time familiarising myself with it, at least I understand what back references are now!