Vectorworks direct link broken after a short while

Flair-Studio

Question

Hi,

I am running VW 2022 SP3 on A mac - M1 pro and have many issues in rendering my models in Twinmotion 2022.1.2. The issues I have found are:

1. All materials in TM always reset when I save the VW model or hit the direct link button
  2. After a short while and in particular when closing and re-opening files, the direct links breaks completely and I have to start from the beginning
  3. I have also tried to run ™ on virtual machine through parallels but that didn't help either as the direct link isn't working through parallels and unfortunately also the path tracer isn't working there.
  4. I tried to export to C4d but materials would reset anyway.

I didn't have these issues a year ago when running VW 2020 on an older mac with T.M 2021. Any help would be greatly apreciated!

Many thanks

7 answers to this question

On 4/20/2022 at 3:22 AM, Flair-Studio said:

on A mac - M1 pro and have many issues in rendering my models in Twinmotion 2022.1.2

Sorry to say, Twinmotion do not yet endorse M1 Macs for use with Twinmotion. From the Mac section of the Twinmotion System Requirements page

image.png.9c5eddb3b564d2c91153ee1f2d14b6f3.png

On 4/20/2022 at 3:22 AM, Flair-Studio said:

I didn't have these issues a year ago when running VW 2020 on an older mac with T.M 2021.

Given that the M1 Max was only released this year, I suppose you were using an Intel Mac when it was working for you. 

yes my previous was an intel mac, a power machine from 2014.

Unfortunately I decided to buy my M1 max after seeing some Jonathan Reeves videos on youtube where he tested the machine with VW and T.M saying how smooth it worked. Actually VW now works pretty smooth on the new mac but T.M is a huge set back (for the moment). Do you have an alternative to suggest for rendering models which come from VW?

Thank you

2 hours ago, Flair-Studio said:

I decided to buy my M1 max after seeing some Jonathan Reeves videos on youtube where he tested the machine with VW and T.M saying how smooth it worked.

Yes, I watched those too. If a program or function used to work (on a specific computer) and then ceases to work, the first thing you question is, 'what has changed about the computer, operating system, software or the setup of these, since it was working?' - But as in your case, if it's never worked on a specific computer but does on other computers of the same model and operating system, then it's a matter of identifying disparities: 

Jonathan said he is using: 

As you're using Twinmotion 2022, see if you can access/download/install the same (previous) version Jonathan Reeves used in his demo. If that doesn't resolve it, check for other disparities. 

• Like 1

Do you have an alternative to suggest for rendering models which come from VW?

You can produce photorealistic renders using these other options right in Vectorworks:

• Renderworks modes. It is comparatively very slow, but can produce some excellent effects and I suspect better results. 
  • Redshift. Much faster than Renderworks, probably slower than Twinmotion, but without the polish of Renderworks effects (as I recall). 
  • Like 1

These problems of materials resetting are known - it's not just your hardware that's responsible.

I see you've already found the thread about this issue

On that thread, there is no answer on the question of whether anything is being done about it.

Regarding your question about alternatives for rendering - are you doing stills or video?

If it's stills, then Renderworks can get you good results. In my experience Redshift (as implemented in VW) is *slower* than Renderworks, but I think it can depend on what exactly you are rendering.

If you want to do video (fly-through animations etc) then don't waste time trying to get good results in VW. The animation tools are terrible and largely seem to have been abandoned.

• Like 1
On 5/4/2022 at 11:42 AM, line-weight said:

These problems of materials resetting are known - it's not just your hardware that's responsible.

I see you've already found the thread about this issue

On that thread, there is no answer on the question of whether anything is being done about it.

Regarding your question about alternatives for rendering - are you doing stills or video?

If it's stills, then Renderworks can get you good results. In my experience Redshift (as implemented in VW) is *slower* than Renderworks, but I think it can depend on what exactly you are rendering.

If you want to do video (fly-through animations etc) then don't waste time trying to get good results in VW. The animation tools are terrible and largely seem to have been abandoned.

thanks @line-weight for the reply!

I used to work on AutoCAD +Sketchup + Vray and quite recently (2020) switched to VW + Twinmotion on a mac. I love VW for many aspects but still find it complicated to make a presentation outcome which goes beyond the shaded rendering with ambient occlusion (which I find very effective, but which is very different from Vray quality). I enjoyed working with Twinmotion for quite some time and was very much looking forward for the 2022 update with the new M1 Max update.

I do videos from time to time and for the CGIs I still need to think if I want to learn the VW built in capabilities or rather start using a new programme like Enscape or else.

I do videos from time to time and for the CGIs I still need to think if I want to learn the VW built in capabilities or rather start using a new programme like Enscape or else.

Most CAD's have basic Animation capabilities.

But I would prefer to use Twinmotion or Enscape (once a Mac version released)

because in the very past, I was never willing to wait for days or weeks until

an animation was calculated.

These Real Time Renderers produce (very) acceptable by GPU rendering in

an affordable time frame and are easier and more flexible to use.

(my opinion)

Or some 3D DCC App like C4D (with VRAY ?)

As VW includes the C4D Render Engine, it will never be VRAY quality but you

can do much more than shaded with AO - at least for still images ....

Twinmotion is not yet fully optimized for M1 Macs. But their development was

impressing over the last 2 years.

So if you like Vectorworks already in general (even coming from Autocad) and

are also familiar with TM already, I would stick with both.

Or Enscape if you prefer. Or Lumion is also great if you can work with Windows.

• Like 1