Greying Complex Lines

asonkin

Question

I wish that VW 2022 would grey complex line types by default when they are placed on grey layers and published.  I believe that this was the case in earlier versions of VW but can no longer verify since upgrading to 2022.  I have attached a sample VWX file and the published outcome.  As you can see the complex line type with text does not grey in the pdf while other objects on that same layer, inclusive of free standing text, do.  Can we add this to the next update, or is there a way to make this happen in the current software.

Thanks

Sample.vwx Sample.pdf

Edited by asonkin
  • Like 1

2 answers to this question

I came up with a workaround.  Since I like working in color, I set all of the layer colors to black and white.  This still allows the colors to show unless "Use layer colors" is checked in Document Preferences.  Then when Publishing, I publish in color and everything comes out perfect.  There are two small glitches, however.  First, simply changing layer colors to black and white with view ports already created does not change the view port colors to B/W when selecting "Use Layer Colors" in DP and so they print in color when published in color while the rest of the page prints in B/W.  So all view ports have to be created with layer colors already set to B/W and Use Layer Colors selected.  Second, when Use Layer Color is unchecked the drawing returns to colors, but the view port stays black and white.  One saving grace is that when editing the view port layers they do return to color.  There may be other issues with this approach that I have not run across yet.  What a pain, just letting everything go to grey on grey layers would be so much simpler.

Found a couple of more glitches.  All layers for the entire drawing need to be created ahead of time.  Any layers added to the drawing keep their color in the view port while the layers that were created prior to view port creation stay B/W. One possible workaround is to create enough blank layers to satisfy any new layers needed in the future in case you want to duplicate the view port to use on other sheets.  I'll test that.  Also, Annotations stay in color with in the view port so if annotations are used they will need to be drawn in black and white. 

I am sure VW can write a fix into its code.