Does anyone use Task Manager?

This issue may be old and dead but I just need to know.

I tried (again) with a happy demeanor and an open mind to set up a simple residential project just to practice with the Task Manager now that I have this fancy new VW 12 and it just seems like it is more frustration than it is worth-would it be too much to say maddening? I just seems like it sets up an innordinate amount of info and does not make it easy at all to edit.

I did a search and seemed like I'm not the only one that has had problems with this.

Are most of you (residential designers/architects) setting up (a) simpler template(s) of classes, layers, views and viewports that is then fairly easy to start off a new project and edit to fit or are you actually using the Task manager?

Or am I just clueless with this and need to buckle down and finally learn how to use this (valuable?) tool? Maybe it is because I've been working since Minicad days and hard to change.

Thanks

Tad-

I use Task Manager for most of my drawings tasks. It is generally quicker than the old way of flipping around thru classes and layers. The one gripe that I have with it is that when 11.5 came out, it was not adjusted to include the sheet layers that get created. That is not too big of a deal, but sometimes I would like it to be in there. I went away from office templates several versions ago, when one version (9 or 10) would not work with our custom template and we had to toss them. We customize certain aspects of the program (like the class names, colors, linetypes, etc.) that are not a big deal to redo when an updated version comes out.

Mind you, I have only started to tinker with 12. Some of the features I like, but I am not crazy about some of the fundamental changes that were made, especially the elimination of standard shortcuts and some of the revamping of the project set up.

If you have been on the program since Minicad, as I have, you ceratinly are not clueless. We all like the groove we get into, and any dimming of productivity usually sucks.

HTH and good luck.

Thanks for the reply Rich.

I think I need to give it a chance and play around with it a bit more. Maybe get a pared down template that works for my small residential projects.

Although I've been here since Minicad, it is all self taught and most of that time has been on and off and frankly farting around. It is only in the last couple of years I have been actually using the program for a small design business I have started up. Every day I learn more about the capabilities of VW and strive to make it work best for me.

It is great to have this forum and not be mocked too much for seemingly obvious questions (especially with my fairly low member #)

Great project portfolio BTW. You guys have a great design aesthetic. I am just plugging along with some simple projects but am always inspired when I see very good design.

• 1 month later...

I trying to use it right now. It has always seemed like if you really want to use task manager and not have your drawings look like an unfortunate collision between a database and a graphic design idea you have to get somewhat savvy about how to tweak sheet symbols and the like. This is a project that really has beeen going on for years with me as a sidebat to my architectural practice. Still not there. I desperately want to realize the dream but its slow going. Wish me luck.

-Mike

I learned VW's class structure by using the TASK MANAGER, always. It was certainly frustrating for awhile, but each "mistake" was a lesson and it's a much better system than AutoCAD's. I've had to deal with DWG files that contained 500 layers! What a headache. 50 layers with a class system is much easier to navigate. In addition, you can now jump to a class or layer by right clicking. So Tad, stick with it and you won't be sorry.

It is good to hear I'm not the only one that has found the function challenging-and intriguing at the same time. I concur it is when displaying and editing the info on the different design and sheet layers that it can be frustrating when you try to circumvent it by reverting to previously learned ways doing so.

The learning by mistakes method is indeed the way I have gone through life LOL

Thanks for the comments