Custom User fields link between Device and Equipment?

t-bud

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello all,

Actually, there is one way to easily have synced custom records attached to devices and equipment items. Here is how:

1) Create a worksheet report with database row that shows both equipment items and devices

2) Get the custom record data in there

3) Add a column with this formula - "=IF('Device'.'name'<>''; 'Device'.'name'; 'EquipItem'.'name')" - Note that you might have to use , instead of ; depending on the system locale

4) Summarize the items of this column so that you get all devices and equipment items with the same name in a single row

5) Now when you edit the custom record data of that row the change gets applied to all devices and equipment items with that name

I am attaching a sample file showing how this works.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

SyncedDeviceEquipData.vwx

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 9:09 AM, Thomas K. said:

there is no real time link. you can use the following to sync the field you need:

hello @Nikolay Zhelyazkov,

since scripts are still unexplored territory: any plans that this will be implemented as a standard feature?
device and equipment kind of represent the same piece of hardware and are linked already (via name/ID, make and model)?

edit:
and I think your nice method of using worksheets does not work with user-n fields only with custom records, right? I couldn't get it to work. 😕

Edited by elc
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
10 minutes ago, elc said:

and I think your nice method of using worksheets does not work with user-n fields only with custom records, right? I couldn't get it to work.

- Yes, this works for custom records only

11 minutes ago, elc said:

since scripts are still unexplored territory: any plans that this will be implemented as a standard feature?
device and equipment kind of represent the same piece of hardware and are linked already (via name/ID, make and model)?

- There are some edge cases that are stopping us from doing this, but since it seems to be requested more we will give it another try and consider it again. Thanks for the feedback! 🙂

• Like 1