Please explain the process of selling and buying a used Vectorworks license?

I have tried to purchase and frequently been told by the seller that they don’t know how to sell it.  I also don’t know.  I’ve searched pretty thoroughly and can’t find any answer to either question?

What steps to sell a license?

What steps to purchase a license?

I’ll be very grateful to anyone who will share this knowledge.  Peter.

• Administrator

A user can transfer a license to another user if the Transfer of Ownership form (TOO) is filled out and signed by both parties. It also needs to be approved by Vectorworks, Inc. or the Authorized Distributor.

Important aspects to note are that while licenses are transferable, Vectorworks Service Select is NOT. Additionally, a user transfers all versions of a license to the new user. For example, they could not keep a 2018 version of a license and transfer a 2020 version. They are relinquishing all versions via the transfer.

For more information on Vectorworks Service Select and transfers, contact globalsales@vectorworks.net

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JuanP said:

A user can transfer a license to another user if the Transfer of Ownership form (TOO) is filled out and signed by both parties. It also needs to be approved by Vectorworks, Inc. or the Authorized Distributor.

Important aspects to note are that while licenses are transferable, Vectorworks Service Select is NOT. Additionally, a user transfers all versions of a license to the new user. For example, they could not keep a 2018 version of a license and transfer a 2020 version. They are relinquishing all versions via the transfer.

For more information on Vectorworks Service Select and transfers, contact globalsales@vectorworks.net

I have a 2017 license and a 2022 license which is not an upgrade.

Can I then sell the '17?

5 hours ago, ParkerJames said:

I have a 2017 license and a 2022 license which is not an upgrade.

Can I then sell the '17?

If they are independent licenses, i.e. one is not an upgrade of the other, then yes you should be able to sell one and keep the other, or sell both to two different people.

Just make sure the correct license gets transferred in case both are listed on the same registration/VSS/Maintenance contract.

In addition to what @JuanP said, if you are selling to someone outside your country then the buyer's authorized distributor should be the one to contact the seller's country distributor to initiate the transfer of the license so that the buyer's distributor can properly register the license to the buyer's name. The buyer's distributor will charge the buyer for the license transfer costs. The seller's distributor will have to release the license for transfer. Otherwise the buyer will not be able to upgradeto a newer version later if it hasn't been done properly. (If the transfer between seller and buyer is within the same country then the license transfer costs will usually be charged to the seller) At least that is what my distributor told me.

Edited by Art V
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 2:40 PM, JuanP said:

globalsales@vectorworks.net

hello, I am looking to purchase 2 licenses of vectorworks 2022 from an architect who appears to have bought the 2 licenses but no longer wants to make the switch to vectorworks from archicad. I understand that there is a transfer of ownership form required and it needs to be approved by vectorworks.  is this something that you can assist me with?

Many thanks

Rob

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 7:18 PM, Regan1234 said:

Hi there,

We have a VW 2016 Architect that we would like to sell.  I'm a bit confused as the what we advertise it as.  It has been updated with SS each year so is it going to be current for the person who buys it?

When you sell your license you have to sell the current/most recent version of that license in your possession if it has been on VSS because serial numbers of older versions cannot always be transferred to a new license owner to the best of my knowledge, though it may vary in some countries/regions depending on local distributor's rules but in any case you need to sell the latest upgraded version you have of a particular license and cannot sell an older version and keep the most recent one yourself.

You may want to check with your distributor whether they will include older serial numbers in the transfer or not in case a prospective buyer needs an older version than your most recent version.

On 6/18/2022 at 2:39 AM, Petebax said:

So just to clarify. If I’m buying a 2016 license that has been upgraded to 2020, am I getting a functioning 2020 software? Can I then upgrade this or get my own SS subscription?

thx

The answer is a sort of yes and "no"....

To clarify the "no" if you would be buying a 2016 license that has been upgraded to 2020 you are not actually buying a 2016 license but a 2020 license. It cannot be sold as a 2016 license because the 2020 upgrade supersedes all previous licenses and it should be sold to you as a 2020 license with the accompanying 2020 serial number. Because the transfer has to be done through the distributor or local VW office they should automatically take care of that.

Regarding the yes, once the license has been transferred you can then upgrade the purchased 2020 version to a later VW version and also purchase VSS. However... there are two things to keep in mind:

1. if you want to purchase VSS you most likely will have to upgrade to the latest VW version first before you can purchase VSS.

2. this may depend on country/region... there may be a limit to how many versions back you can upgrade to the latest VW version, e.g. 5 version back or less or more. In general for VW you should be able to upgrade from the last 3 or 4 versions prior to the current version unless things changed recently. (I've been on VSS for years so always upgraded each year and didn't have to check on version limits with regards to upgrading). Contact your local distributor to find out if there is a limit to how many versions back you can upgrade to be sure. I don't expect upgrading from 2020 to 2022 or even 2023 will be a problem.

Some software companies have no (practical) limit to previous versions from which you can upgrade and other software companies only allow to upgrade from the previous or two versions back.

Edited by Art V
  • 1 month later...

I'm trying to sell (ebay) a 2013 version that I haven't used in well over 8 years and the computer it was installed on is long gone. How would I know if the included serial number is still good without having to install it on my computer? And what/if anything would I do to sell/transfer that serial number to the biyer?

• Administrator

@FilmCamDan Please contact your local distributor for additional information.

On 4/18/2022 at 9:40 AM, JuanP said:

On 4/18/2022 at 6:40 AM, JuanP said:

Thank you for your detailed response. And this is the same for international sales/purchases too, yes?

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2022 at 4:29 AM, FilmCamDan said:

I'm trying to sell (ebay) a 2013 version that I haven't used in well over 8 years and the computer it was installed on is long gone. How would I know if the included serial number is still good without having to install it on my computer? And what/if anything would I do to sell/transfer that serial number to the biyer?

I would be interested in buying one from you

• 1 year later...

The system has changed since this thread was started.  It is no longer possible to buy an upgradable license.  If you buy a 2020 license from its current owner, you can use it for as long as your hardware allows but it can't be upgraded.  VW is forcing all new customers to the subscription model if they want upgrades.