Editing Wall Geometry

BandA

I've been trying to make a stepped wall to follow a drop in the grade around a building. The foundation steps down as well as the stud wall above it. My problem is that I can't find a decent way to make that 'step'. The Reshape 3D walls feature doesn't help b/c it appears that while in this mode, you can't place one 3D locus/wall peak directly above each other (makes sense if this feature is only designed to make walls fit peaks in roofs), and thus I can't create a true 'step'. I can fit walls to 3d geometry below, but there are a few inconveniences here too. First, it doesn't appear that VW considers other walls 3D geometry. Hence, I create a nice stepped concrete wall using the fit walls to roof command, I have to do the same process, albeit in the other direction, for the stud wall above. Second, If I replace the wall type, move the wall, or look at the wall cross-eyed, it loses the geometry I spent so much time giving it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

[ 01-07-2006, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: BandA ]

I'd be interested to know why steps can't be vertical. You can get them almost vertical, but not actually vertical.

Also why the 3D wall snaps are so difficult to achieve. Manual reshaping of walls is slow and tedious. I find the fit to roof routine only works well on simple roof forms, and on most of mine I end up with results that then have to be corrected manually. Hence the problem.

"Second, If I replace the wall type, move the wall, or look at the wall cross-eyed, it loses the geometry I spent so much time giving it."

I put in a call to tech support about this issue, sent them the file for them to check out, and have yet to hear back about it. This seems like a bug to me that I hope is fixed in the next release. Very frustrating and a real time waster.

Michael Kingsley

VW12 AR, Powerbook G4, 10.3.9

Yes this is somewhat frustrating. One method I have grown fond of is to create "dummy" geometry, placed in its own layer(s) and used ONLY for the purpose of "fit walls to roof". It's still not perfect, but with a bit of practice it works well enough. One tip: make sure the "dummy" layer has the same "z" values as the layer in which the walls reside. That was you can create the "dummy" geometry in the same layer as the walls, then cut and paste-in-place in the "dummy" layer.

And Mike, Interestingly enough, when I "fit" a wall to an extrude (which was created to "cut" and "stretch" the wall) the wall DOES end up with precisely vertical steps. Go figure ;-0.

[ 01-08-2006, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: CipesDesign ]

Mike, de nada!

Michael K, here's a quick how-to: Start a new file (just to play with). 1) Create a wall, 8' high (arbitrary), horizontally across the screen.

2) Switch to a FRONT view.

3) Draw a rectangle which instersects (or overlaps) the wall in the middle, but leaves some distance at either end uncovered.

4) Draw another rectangle which is completely above the wall, extends beyond each side, and intersects the first rectangle.

5) Select both recangles and go to MODIFY>ADD SURFACE.

6) With added poly still selected go to MODEL>EXTRUDE. Set the extrude height ("z" value) to something thicker than the wall, say 24"

7) Go back to TOP PLAN view. Move (or stretch) the extrude so that it extends beyond the wall on both sides (top & bottom of your screen).

8) Create a new design layer with the same "z" value as your first layer.

9) Go back to first layer, select the extrude, and in the Object Info Palette change its LAYER to the new layer.

10) Select the wall. Go to AEC>FIT WALLS TO ROOF...

11) Select TOP of wall fit to geometry on the NEW layer (where the extrude is). Click OK

12) Now your wall should be trimmed (and stretched) by the extruded poly.

Of course, in your case (the original question about stepped footings) you will need to (very accurately) create two sets of geometry, one for the top, one for the bottom, in two separate layers. But if you want it right...

The fit to extruded polygon is basically the technique I resorted to as well. I was hoping VW would consider other walls (say below the wall I'm trying to edit) 'geometry', but, alas, no. Bummer.

I was going to post this to bug reporting and/or wish list if no one else has done so. Any objections?