DTM Graphic Properties

Thom

Is there a way to change the appearance of proposed vs. existing contours - either by color or by line type.

Or perhaps a better question is - How do I show proposed vs. existing for a grading plan?

Am I missing something simple here? After all it is Sunday afternoon after some 80+ hours of grading a gated community.

Or do I need to export this to my Autocad surveyor to allow him to create my grading sheets?

And is there a way to go into the site model and edit the contours by moving a single line or drawing a line to go where it should without having to set too many stake objects?

These are the things we need to have in a training session. Start with a piece of raw ground, create a subdivsion, grade the subdivion - complete with roads, storm drainage, etc., then grade a residential lot, add hardscape, buildings, plants, etc. In a real manner the LA's think, not some trainer (heck let's not leave out Architects or Engineers - sorry Robert) who do not understand the profession.

The present cd's do not do a very good job with this. Way too much learning by trial and error.

Just my rant after a extremely long week and a longer one facing me next week. But how about some good answers to the questions above.

[ 03-19-2006, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: tvetter ]

Sorry, like I said, long week and longer one coming at me. Right there in front of me. Actually, I looked at other dtm's I have generated and I had used these settings.

It would be nice to see this feature with the 3D poly's though. Saves a couple of steps looking back and forth to see what is happening or am I still overlooking something.

Also, it would be nice to use colors as the line weights do not show unless setting are changed or extra thick line weights are used to make a difference on the screen.

Robert, is there a easier way to modify dtm's. I am finding that I use mostly stake objects and fences to control the dtm. It would be nice to be able to set stake object and distance and have it generate the elev. Much the same as the road stake tool.

[ 03-20-2006, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: tvetter ]

Robert,

While, we're on the subject of Graphic properties: was there a rationale for making the default colour of contour labels (and Hull) white? It's a bit irritating having to change it all the time to a colour that will print and show up on screen.

And on the same subject; how can I change the default graphic properties so that they're how I want them when I restart the computer?

N.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi propstuff,

actually 'Create Site Model...' menu command does remember your settings. When you use the menu command after hitting 'OK' on the dialog, it stores the settings into 'SavedSettingsUser.xml' file. So, when you run again VW, and when you select the menu command, it will populate the dialog with those saved settings. (this includes the graphic settings)

Note that this have meaning only for the menu command.

Vlado

Hi Vlado,

It's curious; after building and rebuilding a site model numerous times and having to keep changing the colours each time (annoying) , it started remembering, but not if I restarted VW or the computer. Now it seems to have remembered them permanently. Oh -well :-)

cheers,

N.