Easy way to show walls with black fill for 2D sheets?

When I model walls, I like to create wall types made up of components which can be seen on plan but for some presentations it's nice to show walls as solid black. I thought there was an easy way to do this but I can't seem to find it. Any tips or directions to a tutorial that explains how this can be done?

Thanks in advance.

In the viewport set the Detail Level to Low.  All the walls should lose their components.  As far as I know that's a VW-wide setting that isn't editable.  I know you can't change it on a per wall style basis.

I use Data Visualization to change the graphic attributes per viewport (white fill for existing, dark fill for new, no fill + dashed line for demo).  The easiest attributes to use are a record format attached to the walls, but you could also use class.

• Like 3

For viewports, set the detail level to 'low'. Make sure your walls use class settings for a fill (Edit Wall Attributes). Use class overrides to make the wall classes fill black.

For section viewports, just open the advanced properties, 'attributes' tab. Check 'Merge Cross Sections'. The section will use the 'Section Style' class for attributes. Change that class's attributes to black or use the class overrides for that class.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, michaelk said:

In the viewport set the Detail Level to Low.  All the walls should lose their components.  As far as I know that's a VW-wide setting that isn't editable.  I know you can't change it on a per wall style basis.

I use Data Visualization to change the graphic attributes per viewport (white fill for existing, dark fill for new, no fill + dashed line for demo).  The easiest attributes to use are a record format attached to the walls, but you could also use class.

Thanks for this. Where can I find out how to implement Data Visualization? That sound like what I need; a way to easily differentiate between existing, new and demo.

29 minutes ago, michaelk said:

Your signature says you're using 2015.  Is that still true?

No. And I can't see where to change my signature. This came up before and I checked my profile settings but don't see it anywhere. Used to see it under my name but something appears to have changed with how the forum is set up.

24 minutes ago, michaelk said:

Here's an example with walls.  Keep in mind that this works with ANYTHING (…almost!)

Wall Data Vis Example.vwx 4.74 MB · 0 downloads

That looks interesting but what I don't understand is how you apply the existing, new and demo characteristics to the wall. I see in the Properties Data tab you have the three phases in a drop down. How do I do this with my own wall types? Is there a tutorial on this that you could direct me to? I'm using VW2022.

6 minutes ago, MaltbyDesign said:

That looks interesting but what I don't understand is how you apply the existing, new and demo characteristics to the wall. I see in the Properties Data tab you have the three phases in a drop down. How do I do this with my own wall types? Is there a tutorial on this that you could direct me to? I'm using VW2022.

If you go the data visualization route, there is an excellent tutorial on Vectorworks University where they demonstrate this technique on a remodel project.

"REFURBISHMENT WORKFLOWS: CONSTRUCTION PHASING USING RECORD FORMATS AND DATA VIS"

• Like 2

Definitely check out the VW University.  Data Vis is a game changer.

I use the Data Manager to attach a record format to every wall.  It has a field with that pull down for New, Existing, Demo.

Then create a new Data Visualization that looks for that field and assigns graphic attributes.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jeff prince said:

If you go the data visualization route, there is an excellent tutorial on Vectorworks University where they demonstrate this technique on a remodel project.

"REFURBISHMENT WORKFLOWS: CONSTRUCTION PHASING USING RECORD FORMATS AND DATA VIS"

Thanks for that, Jeff. I'll go have a look at that. This seems to be a really logical way to control visualization for phasing.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, michaelk said:

I use the Data Manager to attach a record format to every wall.  It has a field with that pull down for New, Existing, Demo.

@michaelk do you have a single container class for all your Walls or do you use a 'Demo' one to allow you to make the to-be-demolished Walls invisible?

I so need to start using the Data Manager I'm relying on you to keep recommending it + eventually I will do! 🙂

3 hours ago, jeff prince said:

Sadly, I can't find a tutorial by this name. Are you able to share a link?

22 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

@michaelk do you have a single container class for all your Walls or do you use a 'Demo' one to allow you to make the to-be-demolished Walls invisible?

I usually use a demo class and often a demo design layer if it gets too busy and fussy.  Especially if there are two or more phases of demo.

One of the great things about Data Vis is that you can cut down on the number of classes for walls.  (and other things)

I made a couple scripts with keyboard shortcut to move objects up and down the layer stack so I can do it without taking my hands off the keyboard.  That makes zipping objects off to a demo layer to be sorted at my leisure more efficient.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, michaelk said:

I usually use a demo class and often a demo design layer if it gets too busy and fussy.  Especially if there are two or more phases of demo.

One of the great things about Data Vis is that you can cut down on the number of classes for walls.  (and other things)

I made a couple scripts with keyboard shortcut to move objects up and down the layer stack so I can do it without taking my hands off the keyboard.  That makes zipping objects off to a demo layer to be sorted at my leisure more efficient.

I use '-Existing', '-Proposed' + '-Demolished' Wall classes which I'd still need to use in order to change visibility. So I'm not totally sure what the advantage would be of introducing an existing/proposed/demo Record Format into the mix as well + using Data Viz to control the appearance of those Walls rather than doing it via class attributes but I guess I ought to give it a go + find out...