Please allow plant spread to be easily modified

Marshallae

Question

Hi,

I used VW for garden design.  In previous (pre-2022) versions it was a 2 second job to change the spread of a plant symbol.  Now it requires multiple levels of object editing and saving; this feels like a massive step backwards in terms of workflow efficiency.

I can't be the only one suffering from this I'm sure.  Please can we go back to the old way of being able to manually type a spread (and height) into the plant object info palette?

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can set your plant spread by instance within the style settings (see video) this will make adjusting spreads easy. Please be aware, our recommendation is that spread be set by style to avoid, oversizing/undersizing plants which can result in quantities higher or lower that what is actually required to fill the space shown. Additionally this can result in extra lines on a plant schedule, depending on setup, and the inability to easily change the spread for all the plants of a single style within a file. I hope this helps?

Got to say that I totally agree with @Marshallae that this functionality is totally redundant and only serves to make setting up and editing plants more complicated. Most people set up their plants rigorously - by working through all the relevant screens and inputting correct information. It would be easy to spot errors by checking the plant report used to generate nursery orders. This is just an extra layer of complication which is unnecessary and confusing for those who are beginners to VW

Thanks both. Just as an additional point, I often find myself wishing to have different sizes of the same plant, either for existing gardens, or as part of a new planting plan. Particularly this is the case with trees, but also it may be that some areas will have larger specimen shrubs than another area.  Again, having to make each different size a separate asset is very irritating.

As an example, I'm current working on a garden which has 3 mature stone pine trees - naturally they all have different spreads and heights. Previously I could have just put 3 x tree symbols down and then adjusted the spread for each = 30 second job.  Now I've got to go through this convoluted workflow for every tree = extremely inefficient. Now imagine this on a large scale garden with 10s of large trees all different sizes....

Edited by Marshallae