SketchUp Import Plug-In

Ramon PG

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't experimented much with imported 3D dxf, but the Import 3DS command works very nicely. The only drawback is you don't get the benefit of hybrid 2D & 3D VW display. Still, you can easily make a 2D image of any imported 3DS.

Those interested should check out http://www.formfonts.com/

The selection is awsome.

A friend of mine was working yesterday with SketchUp and made a pretty decent presentation for an apartment remodelation. (I still think SU is a great presentation tool, not a design tool) The great thing about SU is that you have tons of very nice symbols that make the presentation very real, But, when you have to go back to CAD, that's when VW really shines.

Making a presentation and then having to start all over again for CAD is a terrible time waster. I love to tweak my design a lot, and knowing that any changes I make in 3D will be there in my CAD drawing without having to go back a few steps for translations and adjustments is a dream come true.

[ 01-03-2006, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]

SDesign -

This is actually the way SketchUp handles the export. They are choosing to export the 3d info as mesh rather than acis solids. If they incorporated this, the objects would come over in one solid piece.