Datatag Ignores Clipcube

Hi everyone,

I love using datatags as lighting labels in 3D viewports. To limit the amount of design layers I often clipcube a single object or construction. While placing datatags using the "All Eligible Object Mode", objects outside of the clipcube also get a datatag.

This can result in some lighting devices having the wrong datatag. 

Is this a known bug and are other people also experiencing issues with this?

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

As far as I know this is not a bug but the intended behavior of this mode of the Data tag tool.

The selected eligible object insertion mode was added in 2022 to provide a better insertion workflow in Design layers due to this behavior.

Adding a option to only apply datatags to symbols within the clipcube bounding box would be a great timesaver! I hope this feature will be up for concideration. 

Using "Single Eligible Object Mode" will also show all the symbols outside of the clip cube at the moment.

Edit: Please note that I'm using this tool in viewport annotations 

Edited by JeroenS.

Ah I thought you were using them in a design layer not in a viewport annotation. That sounds more like a bug to me in this case, I'll get a bug report opened for it.

26 minutes ago, JeroenS. said:

Adding a option to only apply datatags to symbols within the clipcube bounding box would be a great timesaver!

I'll make an enhancement request for this

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
2 hours ago, JeroenS. said:

It's been a while since this was reported as a bug. Are there any updates on this issue?

The behaviour of datatags with the clipcube seems still the same in Vectorworks 2023 SP3.

- hello @JeroenS.,

The fix for this issue turned out not to be trivial and we are still working on it.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your feedback and patience.

• Like 1