Can't get view to open - constant VW 12 crashes

Bruce F

Confound it - I have an elevation view with a 1/4" scale layer and a 1" layer, though only the 1" layer is being used. I have a couple of layer links to 1/4" plans that are grouped and set off to the side, but am getting constant crashes upon opening the view. Can't even delete the layer links which I suspect are causing the crashes. I got rid of things that looked difficult in the plan views, but no improvement.

Thanks if this makes any sense and you are willing to respond.

Very first thing to do: SAVE your work, then use DISK UTILITY to VERIFY and REPAIR PERMISSIONS, then RESTART your machine. If that doesn't help, then you probably have a bit of corruption in your file. If you really only have two layers the easiest solution would be to create a brand new file, and then create the same two layers, then copy and paste from the old file into the new, one layer at a time. I am also curious if this file was a) started in a previous version? or b) imported from a dwg file? Each of these *might* have something to do with what you are experiencing. Let us know :-)

OK, I've gone through classes, and it's "none" that causes the crash, even when it's the only - little wonder since that's what most of the lines are made in. I do have some 4.25" grid hatches showing, but gutting the hatches made no difference . I made new layers for the ones that were linked to the offending view, and emptied the originals so I don't think it's the layer links. But it still crashes when opening the elevation view...

Hi Peter - it still crashes after your suggestions, and those I listed above. The file was an import from VW 8.5.2 (a version I've used up until last month). Guess I'll try the new file idea, and bring in the stuff layer by layer, about a dozen in all. Corruption wouldn't surprise me since this is the fourth project for this client using the same drawing, and ditching old info by putting into the "guides" class. Thanks for the help

Check for symbol corruption , bad fonts, and zero font sizes. Also look out for those legacy objects created by legacy Tools. Check those Layers for "invisible" artifacts by doing a Select All and looking for empty handles objects and lost text ( don't forget the Paste Board ... sometimes there are wierd things lurking way off the page especially with DWG imports ( leads to symbol corruption ).

one suggestion is to finish a project in the version of VectorWorks that you started it in. So if this project was started in VectorWorks 8, then finish it in VectorWorks 8. Start all new projects in VectorWorks 12...

however, if you must use this file in vw12, then import it layer by layer, until you find the thing that is causing the crash. Then delete if from the original file in vw8. Then import all the information into a new vw12 file.

quote:

Originally posted by Bruce F:

... but am getting constant crashes upon opening the view.

Thanks if this makes any sense and you are willing to respond.

Something similar happened to me a few days ago. It was a handrail that I inadvertedly gave a height of a few thousand meters. I noticed the culprit item when I did an isometric view before the doc crashed and was able to delete it.

Good luck.

FIXED IT: DELETED KNOLL CHAIR 3D'S, STANDING FIGURES, CHANGED VW PREFS TO NOT ACCELERATED HARDWARE, NOT VECTORCACHING, HAD GRAYED THE OFFENDING LAYER, DASHED IN WITH SELECT ALL AND GROUPED THEM AND SAVED, ZOOMED WAY OUT TO VIEW THE WITH CLASS NONE ONLY, ENTERED GROUP AND DELETED LAYER LINK GROUP OF PREVIOUSLY DELETED LAYERS (SHIFTED OBJECTS TO NEW LAYERS)AND AM SAVED IN ANOTHER DRAWING...MY BET IS DASHED LINES IN LAYER LINKS WHICH USED TO CAUSE SYSTEM CRASHES BACK IN VW 8.5.2 - THANK GOODNESS FOR TIGER...

BEST TO ALL