Cable Type Management

elc

hi guys,

not sure how, but my CableOptions.txt file is empty. All my entries are gone. Which I only realised because the dropdown was missing next to "Kabel" (obviously "Cable [option, I guess]").

grafik.thumb.png.ac3e19a3547bc4f9c13055a843c0a51e.png

Just last week I noticed cable options in my dropdown list not being listed in the CC Settings dialog. Guess it has to do of how the dropdown list is created? As I can manually enter values (see below) and when adding a value via the settings dialogue the manually entered values (e.g. test1234) are also listed in the dropdown but obviously not in the settings.

grafik.thumb.png.ef4d74ae571cdafa38e235353858ad10.png

gues the initial error had to do with me editing the CableOptions.txt outside of VW. Although it was working fine for the last days. And I didn't do any edits.Is there any posibilty to make these config files more robust?  But please don't just answer "Don't edit outside of VW". 😉 (Editing these things inside VW takes ages.)

Thanks,

George

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@elc Well if you can send me the problematic text file we could find out why this occurred. Not really clear what's going on here. I don't have a problem with you editing the files outside Vectorworks but remember power comes with responsibilities.

Conrad

Sorry, but I can't really send a useful file as in the above example the CableOptions.txt was blank.

This is what I did:

1. CableOptions.txt must be empty (the one in the user folder)
  2. manually type in a Cable type on one of the circuits
  3. add a user defined cabletype ("Kabel" or cable option in english, I guess) in the CC settings
  4. now you should have that user defined type and the manually added one in the drop down list 🤷‍♂️

What I do remember though, is that I had four columns in my txt file before (<Benutzerdefiniert>, =, =, = ). but in my latest one there are only two columns (<Benutzerdefiniert>, = ) . Maybe that was it?

On a side note:

Just saw the other day that VW gives me the option to define a custom location for my user data?

Guess I'll chose one in my documents folder which is synced with sharepoint to have a version history of my CC settings files... or is that a bad idea for whatever reason @Conrad Preen?

grafik.png.44bc3f2fb2700e7a66db8a26a31cb361.png

1 hour ago, elc said:

This is what I did:

1. CableOptions.txt must be empty (the one in the user folder)
  2. manually type in a Cable type on one of the circuits
  3. add a user defined cabletype ("Kabel" or cable option in english, I guess) in the CC settings
  4. now you should have that user defined type and the manually added one in the drop down list

- This is working as designed. Any data found in objects that is not in the list is being added to the list so that it can be selected again and not lost. However, if you want this to be part of the data in CC settings you have to explicitly add it there. This is because once you add this data there it will remain there unless you delete it.

• Like 1

thanks @Nikolay Zhelyazkov

1 hour ago, elc said:

On a side note:

Just saw the other day that VW gives me the option to define a custom location for my user data?

Guess I'll chose one in my documents folder which is synced with sharepoint to have a version history of my CC settings files... or is that a bad idea for whatever reason @Conrad Preen?

and this shouldn't be a problem?

7 minutes ago, elc said:

thanks @Nikolay Zhelyazkov

and this shouldn't be a problem?

I do not think it will be a problem. Just be aware that there might be some conflicts if you have VW running and you change the txt file directly, as then VW might override it at some point because of some of your actions and again, changes to the txt file directly do not take effect until you restart VW.

• Like 1