Window subframe representation

MartinaL

Hi everyone, 

I'm writing to try to understand how I should represent using the window tool the subframe (also called false frame) of an aluminium window. 

I would like to schematize the detail I received from the manufacturer using the window tool parts.

I need to schematize the subframe to give the correct wall "hole" (rough opening) value to the building company that has to leave the right empty space in the framed structure to install the windows later.

The wall structure is made of steel frames, similar to "light steel frame" by Knauf.

Can anyone help me? 

I used the jamb to create the correct Rough Opening Width and the Rough Opening height (attached) but I know it's not the correct way to do it. 

Any ideas?  

thank you, 

Martina

Schermata 2022-04-05 alle 13.26.05.png

Schermata 2022-04-05 alle 13.26.26.png

Schermata 2022-04-05 alle 13.26.40.png

• Like 1

Hi Martina. I've not seen a detail like this before. What country are you in? What is the subframe made up of?

I would be expecting to see the external EPS return into the window where you've shown the subframe (in which case I would just use Wall Closures in Vectorworks).

1 hour ago, Christiaan said:

Hi Martina. I've not seen a detail like this before. What country are you in? What is the subframe made up of?

I would be expecting to see the external EPS return into the window where you've shown the subframe (in which case I would just use Wall Closures in Vectorworks).

Hi Christian,

I live in Italy and the subframe, in this case, is made of wood planks and closed with aluminium.

It is made to eventually locate roller shutters and/or mosquito nets, if the clients decides to pay an extra for them.

Here's an other example, from the same producer and an other one from the internet, withe the subframe in blue. Maybe in the blue oneI could use the shim gap?

I'm also using windoor, but also in that I can't find the answer.

15407097_Schermata2022-04-05alle15_38_00.thumb.png.b84a8564c64bc926ef729120ffaabfc4.png1127316901_Schermata2022-04-05alle15_31_46.thumb.png.e195cd4ab37d8f76d78ca7d64ae4c363.png

Okay, yes I see. Your last example would be relatively straight forward to achieve with Wall Closures I think.

But one way you could go about doing your initial example is to use two window objects inserted into the wall at the same place. Use one for the sash + jamb and the other for the subframe. Given that they're separate units this makes some logical sense too. This method does have its nuances and inconveniences—which you'll soon learn—but it will give you full control over each object.

By the way, I love the external shutters and mosquito nets found it Europe (we just replaced some manual ones for electric shutters where I live in Portugal). I think the UK should be adopting them with the climate warming up as it is.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 1