Stair Break Question

eric.rktek

Hats off to the new and improved stair tool. However, I have one question/problem with the new tool. I have found the stair break controls for upper and lower levels (which is great). I can't figure out how to make the stair break show the angled 'cut' line like it used to. Is this feature still available, or did it get eliminated in the improvements?

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Anderson:

It got eliminated; we're working on bringing it back. For now, you might want to use the Break Line tool to draw an angled BL across the stair end.

Noticed that. And while you're at it, it it possible to have a horizontal balustrade parallel to the handrail? It is in many instances more modern than the vertical one. It could be similar to the railing prefs.

Also can the stair handrail be made to extend past the top nosing at the same inclination, rather than the current change of direction to be parallel to the floor.

Our regulations require stair and floor balustrades of different heights. To have the two handrails continuous (as required by access regulations) means there needs to be a transition zone between the two. A newel post with a vertical change in handrail heights is not permitted.

[ 12-02-2005, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Anderson:

Ramon, you can add an intermediate rail -- I think that is what you are asking for. Set the value of "num inter rails" on the handrails tab to something other than 0.

Sorry, Robert but it does not work as nicely as the handrail tool. I

can't place an "inter" rail at the bottom of the railing; 12" is the most you can space it. Why the excellent features of the railing tool were not incorporated to the stair tool?

[ 12-05-2005, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]

Eric - the stair tool will show "down" but only if you use it in the "layer to layer" mode (as opposed to manually setting the floor to floor height). If you want to "cheat" you can create the stair in "layer to layer" , then go to the upper floor (where it will say "down"), then go back and change to "manual setting". The "down" will still be there, even if you copy and paste it to another layer. At least it worked for me just now ;-)

Eric, I actually think the new graphics, especially the text placement around a curve, leave a lot to be desired. My solution has been to create my own "up" and "down" arrows and text in the annotations of the relevant VP. Fortunately most of my projects are single family homes and only need one (or no) stairways...

• 1 month later...

This thread seems like the most relevant place to add my 2 cents on the STAIR tool. I finally found a project where I needed to push the capabilities a little and found that the tool couldn't quite keep up ... for example:

If you have two stair runs of different widths (say 36" and 44" respectfully) joined by a "U" shaped landing. And, as is commonly the case, the stair runs are separated by an interior support wall ... well, that puts it over the top. Apparently the first flight will align with the EDGE of the landing, but the second flight will not. Any adjustments made to its width are made symmetrically around its centerline.

Is there a different sequence that could lead me to having both stair flights aligned to the outer edges of the landing, or ... am I back to drawing one flight with the landing as one stair element and then patching a second stair above?

Thanks,