Controlling Section Viewports (SVPs)

Ramon PG

1. Is there a way to control the line thickness of sectioned objects? I currently control the cross section hatch via Advanced Section Properties>Attributes.

2. Also, I am getting very erratic results with SVPs. I will not get some items, like the roof, sectioned even when selected in Layers and Classes. I had to resort to duplicating another properly drawing SVP and then recreating and relocating its marker.

3. Also, what exactly does this mean: "If creating a section view from an existing viewport, select a non-sectioned viewport object."

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

1. You can edit the attributes of the Section Style class to control this.

2. Make sure that the objects you are trying to section are in a visible layer and visible class in the section vp.

3. What it means that you can't create a section viewport from another section viewport.

quote:

Originally posted by BiplabNNA:

1. You can edit the attributes of the Section Style class to control this.

2. Make sure that the objects you are trying to section are in a visible layer and visible class in the section vp.

3. What it means that you can't create a section viewport from another section viewport.

1. OK. I selected the Class atribute for Section Plane and changed the line representation (width). Ovbious...

2. Checked that, many times. Still a mystery.

3. Beg to differ. Actually this was the only way to do it. I may have done something wrong in the process of making the "defective" SVPs, but I can confirm to you that you can duplicate a SVP, provoke the Section Line Instance, and later relocate the Section Line where needed. I think it is an extra convenience when a lot of Layer/Class editing is required. As in regular VPs you set it up once and just keep on going.

Thanks for the concern.

[ 11-23-2005, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]

Another DTM in SVPs question:

Is there a way of controlling the looks of the DTM so that it does not show "hollow" in Section Viewports? I would like it to show a hatch similar to what you can get with Advanced Properties>Attributes>Section Plane.

[ 11-23-2005, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

3. What you are doing is copying a section VP. But what the message means that you cannnot "cut" a section VP. There are 2 ways to create a section VP - by drawing a section line in the plan design layer or by drawing a section line on a viewport that is in top/bottom/right/left/front/back view. If you draw a section line on a section VP and try to create another section VP using Create Section Viewport command - you will get this message - which is different from copying the section VP and repositioning the section line instance.

Anout SVPs.

I'm trying to convert a section VP in 2D so to use it as a base for a presentation section view.

I select the SVP and use "convert copy to line". The result is not as expected... Too many lines... can't read it. I've also tried "convert copy to polygone".. not much better, no line are hidden. I use to do that with elevation and it would ask me how I wanted to render it. Is there a way to do this with SVPs?

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by lmt:

Anout SVPs.

I'm trying to convert a section VP in 2D so to use it as a base for a presentation section view.

I select the SVP and use "convert copy to line". The result is not as expected... Too many lines... can't read it. I've also tried "convert copy to polygone".. not much better, no line are hidden. I use to do that with elevation and it would ask me how I wanted to render it. Is there a way to do this with SVPs?

Thanks

My suggestion is not to use the original VP lines because of what you encountered. Someone suggested, and that's the best way, to draw your new lines on top of the VP's. You'll work faster than trying to erase your way to the desired look, believe me.

Again, anyone?

Is there a way of controlling the looks of the DTM so that it does not show "hollow" in Section Viewports? I would like it to show a filled hatch similar to what you can get with Advanced Properties>Attributes>Section Plane. It's most of the time very confusing to show what happens below grade. It feels like looking under some ugly lady's skirt, if you can find it in you to pardon the expression...

quote:

Originally posted by ding.design:

Questions to VW 12 users:

looks like there are a lot of problems in VW 12.

should i get it for my company? should i stay with VW 11.5 for now?

DEFINITELY get it and practice. The learning curve is very fast but some of the kinks will set you back hours each week trying to figure if you're dumb or VW is.

AND do as I say, don't do as I DID; don't convert a halfway rush v11.5 project into v12 yet.

[ 12-02-2005, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]

quote:

Originally posted by islandmon:

Ramon ..

"It feels like looking under some ugly lady's skirt, if you can find it in you to pardon the expression..."

Dude.. you live in Puerto Rico ... Isla de Enchantment ... PR women are mostly beautiful... necessitate pasarle a la playa !

Yes, amigo, mostly are, no doubt. But, no playa for me since I got married 18 years ago. The wife fears the moon might get in my eyes...

[ 12-02-2005, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]

• 2 weeks later...

Again?

Is there a way of controlling the looks of the DTM so that it does not show "hollow" in Section Viewports? I would like it to show a filled hatch similar to what you can get with Advanced Properties>Attributes>Section Plane.

It's very confusing to show what happens below grade beyond the section plane. The DTM shows hollow and you can see all walls below grade. Confusing!!

quote:

Originally posted by CipesDesign:

Ramon, why don't you go into the VP annotations and add a poly (with a "soil" hatch) over the offending area? I think that's pretty much the intended worflow at this point.

Peter:

That's precisely what I am doing now but I think I am compensating for a flaw in VW. It is a pain to do a poly on every section and elevation, not to mention that is is totally contrary to the new "live" capabilities of section viewports.

Ramon, Maybe we should think of it as a work in progress. Many people, including me, have requested the ability to have (cut) objects exhibit certain user controllable attributes when viewed in a section VP. I think you can rest assured that if there is a way to do it technically, NNA will be working on it. But I wouldn't expect to see anything like this for a while, as software design and development is a very complex and complicated affair. For now, maybe we ought to express a little thanks that now, because of section VP's, we might have the basis for further development of the concept, including the desires stated above. :-)

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Anderson:

Ramon, the DTM section issue has been listed as a bug (B049666).

Robert,

I appreciate your post. This issue is a very minor one compared to the mysterious giant borders in windows and doors. The problem has subsided in my VW-12 but I am worried that it might come back. I was worried and really pissed by the fact that it seemed a known issue that was not addressed diligently. I can remember a recent e-mail by NNA tech claiming to have temporarily solved the huge borders issue. Upon examining the "solution" it was evident that what was showing was a hole in the wall instead of a window. It felt like adding insult to injury.

Again, I do appreciate your post. And all the good faith and experience of everyone at the Tech Board.

Happy Holidays