Is there a renderworks style that shows shadow only?

Dcrb

4 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

You also might want to try creating a Shadow Catcher texture and use class overrides to apply that texture to any (or all)objects that you don't want to see but want shadows on/from.Shadow Catcher.vwx

Matt:

Neat idea.  I downloaded the file and the wierd thing is that it works but when I open it in my Windows version of VW and the classes show they are overwritten but doesn't show how they are overwritten.   See below.  In the second window it should have the shadow catcher texture. 

image.png.e0ada9c639479f165e691604facb5db8.pngimage.png.c1fa057dc5328bf657b966ed17933600.png

Edited by The Hamma
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
56 minutes ago, The Hamma said:

Matt:

Neat idea.  I downloaded the file and the wierd thing is that it works but when I open it in my Windows version of VW and the classes show they are overwritten but doesn't show how they are overwritten.   See below.  In the second window it should have the shadow catcher texture. 

Ah.  I'm seeing that as well.  I was not using a "release" version of Vectorworks to create the file and something went amiss.  I opened the file in 2022 SP3 and set the overrides up again.  They should stick now.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Also, shadows from Shadow Catcher textures use alpha channels in the viewport so they will work nicely over images and other objects on the sheet layer.  In this example, only the Pavement object is overridden to have the Shadow Catcher and an Image was placed on the sheet layer and sent behind the viewport.

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 3.13.53 PM.png

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Also, shadows from Shadow Catcher textures use alpha channels in the viewport so they will work nicely over images and other objects on the sheet layer.  This example, only the Pavement  object is overridden to have the Shadow Catcher and an Image was placed ion the sheet layer and sent behind the viewport.

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 3.13.53 PM.png

Well this is far more fun than my work around.

I'll find uses for this.

Wondering out loud if this would make a better texture for glass in drawings and sketch renders. 

• 1 year later...

"Artistic render works - line and shadow"  - where can this style be found?  Can't find it in my  resource manager libraries...

Also tried the shadow catcher method but get really weird results (see below). The sample file works fine though, but can't figure out what is different in the settings.

image.png.9f40ae1f1c2dc70378e9811cb555dd9a.png

1 hour ago, JMR said:

"Artistic render works - line and shadow"  - where can this style be found?  Can't find it in my  resource manager libraries...

Also tried the shadow catcher method but get really weird results (see below). The sample file works fine though, but can't figure out what is different in the settings.

image.png.9f40ae1f1c2dc70378e9811cb555dd9a.png

It's not a RW Style:

Screenshot2023-07-25at10_54_07.png.79f5aa721740e88fd5480b9e139b88be.png

Then once selected, in Background Render Settings... choose Lines and Shadow from the 'Style' drop-down

Thanks! I'm getting close but still get these white lines on the edges - even though both colours are set to black (for testing purposes).

image.png.551fe139ada0ccbfb73d1fc0f08d2d0a.png

The same happens with any selected line and shadow color.

BTW the shadows are not transparent...the viewport can be pasted as bitmap thus opening access to the transparency controls.