Problems editing an existing 2D/3D Hybrid Symbol

Elite Exhibits

Question

Problems editing an existing 2D/3D Hybrid Symbol

We utilize 1000's of 2D/3D Hybrid Symbols. Now that our VW / RW is upgraded post pandemic to 2019 + the process is awkward / frustrating.

¿ Assume that this is because of the Screen / Layer component in VW ?

In the past, when one would edit a 2D/3D hybrid symbol, the 2D/3D geometry could be mixed. When saved, the symbol would sort out what was 2D from 3D, and display appropriately.

Now, any 2D geometry, created inside the 3D component of a 2D/3D Hybrid symbol tends to disappears. A setting some where I assume ?

The work around is to edit the 3D component of the 2D/3D symbol, copy as needed - paste this geometry elsewhere, edit, then bring the revision back into the 3D component of the symbol.

Suggestiong

Peter

14 answers to this question

In VW2019 Objects that are set to "Screen Plane" sort to the Top/Plan (2D) portion of the symbol. Objects that are in any other plane (Layer Plane, 3D Plane, etc.) sort into the 3D portion of the symbol.

So just set the objects you want in the 2D part to Screen Plane.

And for future planning as of VW2022 the information I just gave you changes as Screen Plane is being deprecated (but available as a legacy item) and the way Symbols are created changes a little. But you get better symbol handling and not only  Top/Plan 2D views, but if you want to make them you can also get separate 2D representations of all the orthogonal views (Top/Front/Left/Right/Back/Bottom).

Pat

Thank You for the assistance

This all appears simple when creating a 2D/3D Hybrid. The reality when editing is somewhat convoluted.

VW 2019

...by happenstance I found that editing 2D/3D Hybrid Symbols in Top (Not Top Plan) allows one to see an extrudes original 2D shape (now converted / displayed as a 3D Layer Plane component). The other BUG...  Having the Screen Plane / Layer Plane Options set to Screen Only keeps any newly drawn 2D geometry from appearing, until you exit the Edit Symbol function.

Peter

I no longer have VW2019 installed so I can't check, but my memory is that if you draw Screen Plane objects in the non Top/Plan portion of a symbol they would continue to display until you exited the symbol.

But if that is not happening for you, then it is a problem. 

What operating system are you running? There are some anomalies with older versions of VW and current versions of the Mac OS.

Pat, Thanks Again

VW / RW 2019 - OSX 10.15.7

Updated to VW/RW 2022, OSX 11.6.4

...it appears that the VW 2019 - 2021 Bug is editing a Hybrid with the Screen Plane / Layer plane Options set to Screen Only .

This is not happening in VW/RW 2022

¿ Now how do you eliminate the annoying Component Edit dialog from appearing ? It blocks precious real estate on the new MacBook Pro ...

Please Let Me Know

Peter

• Like 1

Pat

Thanks

More clicking - Noticed it works best entering from the 2D world.

1. Is there a way to set this as the default when editing an existing 2D / 3D Hybrid.

2. Add a feature to the next up grade to turn the Component Dialog off.

Please and Thank You from those of us with small screens

Peter

17 hours ago, Elite Exhibits said:

Pat

Thanks

More clicking - Noticed it works best entering from the 2D world.

1. Is there a way to set this as the default when editing an existing 2D / 3D Hybrid.

Please and Thank You from those of us with small screens

Peter

The floating palette takes some getting used to and I wish is was fixed in the mode bar. And it would be great to set seeing the 3d ghosted in the background as the default.

I would recommend adjusting your workflow to use Vectorworks to autogenerate your 2d component as a starting point for editing. While in the 2d component of a symbol right click and choose "Generate 2d from 3D component". It is very quick and creates decent results for most things. Give it a try and I bet you'll grow to like it. It does do some quirky things with line weight (assigning directly instead of by class) so I grab the overall outline and shift it back to by class. It creates a nice looking 2d symbol.

There may still be some improvements coming. @Matt Panzer used to be the person overseeing it.... he may know what's planned. Its not specifically on the Road Map that I could see.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 6/10/2022 at 6:01 PM, Andy Broomell said:
On 6/10/2022 at 5:58 PM, Elite Exhibits said:

It only helps a little, but you can minimize it by clicking the little "+" in the corner.

For what it's worth, you can also squish the palette horizontally and have the controls stacked.  

image.png

• Like 2

Kevin M

Thanks for the suggestions

Please see the attached Movie

3D / 3D Hybrid Symbols are the basis for a simple efficient, decades old workflow we use. (... it is like playing with Colorforms ) I find Auto Hybrid to be a bit flaky - looking different in different views. Not behaving the same way symbol to symbol. Not as easy (Before VW 2022) to edit. I have attempted to use them. I tried moving the 2D Layer component in Auto Hybrid symbols assuming that this would provide the desired 2D plan view and simplicity of manipulation. So far it is more effort than value.

The 3D makes 2D results in excessively complex Plan View geometry. Don't see how it is a viable solution for me.

If you look at the 2D / 3D Symbol (Middle) it is very simple in 2D, with only a rectangle to select and position, while the multi part 3D component is not visible in a Top / Plan view. The Auto Hybrid  & the 3D makes 2D  result in dozens of possible points to select in a Top / Plan view that would only inject error into the process.

Thanks again

Peter

I

• Like 1
On 6/14/2022 at 2:26 PM, Elite Exhibits said:

The 3D makes 2D results in excessively complex Plan View geometry. Don't see how it is a viable solution for me.

If you look at the 2D / 3D Symbol (Middle) it is very simple in 2D, with only a rectangle to select and position, while the multi part 3D component is not visible in a Top / Plan view. The Auto Hybrid  & the 3D makes 2D  result in dozens of possible points to select in a Top / Plan view that would only inject error into the process.

I often delete everything generated by the command except the overall outline shape to create very simple 2d versions that accurately represent the footprint.

KM