multiple users in one file

lindamon

I'm really sorry, I know this is a basic question, but I wanted to ask what the best way is to have multiple people working in one project? At the moment we have the entire building in one file using all the standard layers and classes and it all links up to complete 3d model. Up until now, its only been one person on the project and we have most of the set all worked out. We now are adding another person and don't know how to split up the file so both can use it without destroying the organization that is currently there and without destroying our 3d model capabilities. Any success with this? I appreciate any avenues that you can lead me to. Thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Linda, there are several ways to split up a project, but the thing to keep in mind is that the layer is the basic unit of sharing. Let's say for example that you have a 2-story building in a single file and you want to split it up so that two people can each work on a story. Here's a rough idea of the workflow to do this:

1. Duplicate the file. Say now we have file A and file B.

2. Delete the layer(s) pertinent to your first floor from file B.

3. Delete the layer(s) pertinent to your second floor from file A.

4. WGR the layers that you just deleted from the respective files from the other file. You may get some messages about replacing resources. Since the file resources are duplicates, its OK to click OK.

5. If you had any viewports in the files, you'll have to re-establish the layers that you just deleted in them.

6. Now you have two apparently duplicate fils, but the first floor is "original" in one file and the second floor is "original" in the other. Your scenario may vary from the one I suggested, but you get the general idea.