Custom Selection Tool - Need 'Option' click to 'see inside Groups'

shorter

Question

I really hate Groups.  I know this is likely to cause a great deal of angst and indigation, and possibly abuse from some readers but really, what do they do that a Symbol or Layer can't?

Groups, inside groups, inside Groups...!!!!  Argh!!!

Still, they exist and we have to deal with them.

So, to make them more palatable, can we please have an option click within the 'visibility', 'custom selection', and 'eyedropper' tool that 'sees' inside the group at the elements within in order to be able to affect visibililty of, or select the element within, rather than the group itself, which frankly, is utterly useless.

Current behaviour... Click on Group using Visibility Tool and it turns off the Group's class, not the element within the Group.

Required behaviour... Option Click on Group using Visibiity Tool and it turns off the class of the obect within the Group.

It would be like using the 'B' key to see objects in 'xray'.

• Like 3

2 answers to this question

I certainly don't hate Groups. In fact I use them a lot. Two positive use cases:

• To temporarily isolate a selection of items so that I can work with them whilst in a 3D view. I can toggle the "Show Other Objects While in Edit Mode" button on and off to check my work and when I am done I exit the group. Because it is still selected when I do that then a quick ctrl U will ungroup the items again.
  • Selecting a large selection of items and moving them as one object. Again, I can ungroup with a keystroke and all is returned to normal

There are lots of other things that you can do with groups, especially when using the tools in the SPotlight workspace that I certainly wouldn't be without.

Addressing your main gripe though, I agree - It would be great for the selection tool could see through the Group container in the same way that worksheets do with Symbols, Viewports and Plug-ins. 

Another advantage of groups is that you can create Blue symbols. This has had so many use cases for me over the years - What I would like though is for these to have the option to Ungroup themselves on insertion. Maybe thats one for another thread.....

• Like 1
On 3/29/2022 at 3:17 PM, markdd said:

Another advantage of groups is that you can create Blue symbols. This has had so many use cases for me over the years - What I would like though is for these to have the option to Ungroup themselves on insertion. Maybe thats one for another thread.....

I agree.  Rather than Convert to Group, the option should be 'Convert to Group' or 'Explode' on placement.

Interestingly, a symbol containing only symbols, I am pretty sure used to 'ungroup' to just the enclosed symbols on placement.  It doesn't anymore.  Perhaps it never did.