Number cut off on device name when using "Create devices from worksheet"

elc

Hello,
when I use the "Create devices from worksheet" function from a list with devices that already have unique device names with a running number at the end, ConnectCAD cuts off that last number and replaces it with a space for the first and then its own running number for every following devices.

the tool itself is fantastic. but unfortunately this behaviour is slowing me down a lot as I have to rename every device again. My workaround is add a space at the end of the device name in my excel list and after the device was created replace the space in the name via copy-paste from excel to a temporary worksheet to the database list in question (because of this bug).

This is what ConnectCAD does...

e.g.
Excel List:

Device-1

Device-2

Device-3

is turned into:
Device-

Device- 1

Device- 2

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@elc Some additional info here. So what you are doing is that you have a worksheet with 3 rows that creates 3 devices, right? The idea behind the name changes is that you can have multiple devices created from a single row and you can have multiple rows with the same name. That is why we get the non numeric prefix and then add the numeric suffix so that we do not generate duplicate device names. So in your case you can have just "Device-" as the name for all devices and you will get to the same result with unique names and a space between the dash and the index. We will still think about how to improve this so that it covers your workflow too.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot @Nikolay Zhelyazkov for checking.

1 hour ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

So in your case you can have just "Device-" as the name for all devices and you will get to the same result with unique names and a space between the dash and the index.

unfortunately that doesn't help in my case, as I want the first device to actually have a 1 at the end and not the second. (Which shouldn't be a 🦄 goal?). Or am I missing something? Plus, what, if I don't want a space between the "-" (which is a commonly used delimiter) and the running number.

1 hour ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

We will still think about how to improve this so that it covers your workflow too.

that would be fantastic. e.g. "IF no quantity or qty. 1 AND the id is unique THEN just use the original device name" 🤷‍♂️

(since uniqueness of all devices is the ConnectCAD goal.)

thanks,

george

15 minutes ago, Conrad Preen said:

if 2 schematic devices in ConnectCAD have the same name that has a specific meaning.

totally forgot about that, sorry.
but that is already true for your current way of handling device lists for the "create from list" tool, right? but you still try to make the names unique.

bummer. as usual, what seems to be a simple fix in the beginning just opens up another can of worms. 
I sure am glad not to be a developer. 😅