Stacking layers

Gary C

I need a little explanation on how stacking layers works in VW12. In VW11.5 for example, I would design my first floor on Layer Floor 1. Whe I craeted the second floor I would past-in-place and outline from floor one and draw my second floor. This would keep them stacked, and I was able to link layers and get a perspective of whole project. How is stacked layers used. I tried clicking on it but it seamed like it did nothing. Someone please give me a quick idea how to use this, if possible.

Well I haven't got a copy of VW 12 yet so I can't tell you exactly what to do, but yes, if VW 12 uses the same principles as previous versions you'll need to make sure your all your walls are in line with each other on your Design Layers. And, yes, one way to do this is to copy and paste in place.

As an aside, to present your plans, make sure you use Sheet Layers and Viewports (rather than your Design Layers).

Stack Layer View is the main feature I was hopeing for. It's a bit like having a model layer with all your layers linked. The difference is you're able to snap to and edit the whole model, which you weren't able to do in a layer linked model view.

This is great (and a long time coming) because previously if you had to model something that existed on more than one floor then you would be modelling it blindly in one layer (i.e. you couldn't snap to the rest of the model, let alone see it).