Wall Closure not working?

Hello community, I'm doing my first "project" with VW, It's a small office. 

I've created a new style of door and with the interior walls, sometimes the wall closure tool works, sometimes it doesn't. I wonder why because all the wall and door preferences are the same and I've tried with simple geometry wall (even on a different file) and it still doesn't work.

What can I be doing wrong? 

The file is attached, for a quicker understanding.

Kind regards!

escritorio.vwx

1 hour ago, Christiaan said:

One thing to always check—and which is a little hidden away—is the Plug-in Object Options (right-click on object in Object Info Palette)

Can't open your file because student files can't be opened with professional licence.

I've check it already and it's correct. I strongly believe that this is a bug, because it worked previously with the same elements in the same file. 

I have only used Wall Closures a couple of times so far + neither time were the results particularly satisfying. In the latest example, I managed to create splayed arrow-slit windows that look fine in both 2D + 3D:

1592415266_Screenshot2022-03-25at10_41_50.png.8f6dded5ae10c20788e32b479ac6f60f.png         1584098603_Screenshot2022-03-25at10_41_35.png.5d4014e9338d24e3ed2cc9a2b7ebb044.png

I tried this first using the 'Interior Wall Detail' settings for the Window + this didn't work at all so I'm very grateful to the Wall Closure feature for enabling it. But I then tried to run the interior Wall component (a 1mm thick white painted stone component) into the window + it didn't play ball at all.

Be interested to know how successfully other people are using it + whether anyone knows whether what I'm trying to do is possible... @Matt Panzer yet again would I be able to trouble you to have a look at my file?

The few examples I've seen of the feature in use don't match real world constructions I'd ever use.

Note: if I try + render the Wall by object the texture I apply to 'holes' isn't applied to my splayed arrow slits so I can't do it that way either.

6 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

@_leorus,

Can you post a screenshot of what you have and what you're trying to achieve?

@Tom W.,

Feel free to attach or PM me the file and I'll have a look.

Hi Matt, thank for your reply.

Here goes a few screen shots, that are helpful.

Door and wall are exactly the same on the successful and on the unsuccessful wall closures.

Apparently all the VW options are correct.

Kind regards.

Captura de ecrã 2022-03-25, às 20.55.45 (2).png

Captura de ecrã 2022-03-25, às 20.56.01 (2).png

Captura de ecrã 2022-03-25, às 20.56.12 (2).png

Captura de ecrã 2022-03-25, às 21.01.07 (2).png

Captura de ecrã 2022-03-25, às 21.01.26 (2).png

On 3/25/2022 at 11:00 AM, Tom W. said:

I have only used Wall Closures a couple of times so far + neither time were the results particularly satisfying. In the latest example, I managed to create splayed arrow-slit windows that look fine in both 2D + 3D:

1592415266_Screenshot2022-03-25at10_41_50.png.8f6dded5ae10c20788e32b479ac6f60f.png         1584098603_Screenshot2022-03-25at10_41_35.png.5d4014e9338d24e3ed2cc9a2b7ebb044.png

I tried this first using the 'Interior Wall Detail' settings for the Window + this didn't work at all so I'm very grateful to the Wall Closure feature for enabling it. But I then tried to run the interior Wall component (a 1mm thick white painted stone component) into the window + it didn't play ball at all.

Be interested to know how successfully other people are using it + whether anyone knows whether what I'm trying to do is possible... @Matt Panzer yet again would I be able to trouble you to have a look at my file?

The few examples I've seen of the feature in use don't match real world constructions I'd ever use.

Note: if I try + render the Wall by object the texture I apply to 'holes' isn't applied to my splayed arrow slits so I can't do it that way either.

Just to say Matt helped me out on this + all working fine now:

866806483_Screenshot2022-03-26at15_11_51.png.ca362da67713c92cdb7eb976c736ae48.png    981018765_Screenshot2022-03-26at15_28_16.thumb.png.63908e86048e4b9c6f64981107a6fa68.png

Faith has been restored!

• Like 3
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @_leorus,

Thanks for the screenshots.

I did manage to open your file this morning.  This helped a lot because the Style of Doors having the issue was in a weird state.  This was easily corrected but also exposed another known issue which can also be felt with.

How I corrected the two issues:

1. The Use wall closures option in the Plug-in Object Style Options dialog showed selected but did not seem to take.  I corrected this by deselecting and selecting it again.
  2. This helped but exposed a known bug related to wall end caps.  Recreating the end cap in a different way can help workaround that issue.

See video:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

Hi @_leorus,

Thanks for the screenshots.

I did manage to open your file this morning.  This helped a lot because the Style of Doors having the issue was in a weird state.  This was easily corrected but also exposed another known issue which can also be felt with.

How I corrected the two issues:

1. The Use wall closures option in the Plug-in Object Style Options dialog showed selected but did not seem to take.  I corrected this by deselecting and selecting it again.
  2. This helped but exposed a known bug related to wall end caps.  Recreating the end cap in a different way can help workaround that issue.

See video:

In Portugal there isn't the sp3 yet. But I will try it. Love you! 😅

5 hours ago, _leorus said:

In Portugal there isn't the sp3 yet. But I will try it. Love you! 😅

Ah, OK.  I didn't have a chance to try in SP2 but the steps I mentioned may work there as well.  Certainly give it a shot.  🙂 

16 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Ah, OK.  I didn't have a chance to try in SP2 but the steps I mentioned may work there as well.  Certainly give it a shot.  🙂 

Your steps worked just fine.

These are some renders (my very first ones). Don't know how to manage the lights, nor the "outside" view from windows yet, but are good enough to understand the space.

Sht-1-Recepção-1.jpg

Sht-2-Recepção-2-2.jpg

Sht-3-Escritório-1-2.jpg

Sht-4-Escritório-2-4.jpg

Sht-5-Sala de Reuniões-5.jpg

Sht-6-Arrumos-6.jpg

Sht-7-Circulação-7.jpg

Sht-8-Escritório-3-8.jpg

Sht-9-Circulação-2-9.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, _leorus said:

Your steps worked just fine.

These are some renders (my very first ones). Don't know how to manage the lights, nor the "outside" view from windows yet, but are good enough to understand the space.

Great to hear it worked for you ...and nice images!  🙂 

• Like 1