Moving Truss Objects without affecting Fixtures

Gonda

Hi All,

So...was just working on a drawing with a bunch of truss and fixtures.  When I went to move the truss, VW decided it was smarter than me and moved all of my fixtures as well.  Now, I can understand it doing this if the truss had been converted to a lighting position, but given that it wasn't, the truss and fixtures were on seperate layers...

I guess my question ultimately is, is there a way to basically have VW ONLY do what I tell it to as opposed to it randomly adding objects to a selection?

Cheers,

-gonda

VectorWorks is designed to attach lighting devices to Trusses. You can turn off that function in Spotlight Preferences.

However, if you want to detach the Lighting devices you can easily do it by using the Manage Rigging Lloads tool in the 2nd mode and selecting the lighting devices you wish to remove.

hope that helps.

• 1 year later...

Bump!

Is it still no way of moving a truss without moving fixtures?

Is there no one that needs to adjust the trusses but the lights need to stay where they are?

And, with the Manage Loads tool, why can it not work like a marquee tool? So I can select several fixtures to remove. Or just select the truss, and a "remove all loads" button.

Or have a function to move the truss without its loads. I don't know, but I do find it very odd this is not possible. Do people never move trusses?

Having the exact issue right this moment. I even tried locking the fixtures as well as turning off their layer completely, and they all still move. Surely there are more than two of us who need to move truss around without changing the lighting design....

• Like 1

The workflow I use is:

• Duplicate the Rigging Position in place and
  • delete the original. (You can use the J key to select the bottom position)

This will detach the lighting devices immediately. To re-attach the lights, either:

• Select them all
  • Run the Attach to Rigging Position command

or

• Nudge them left and right/up and down and they will re-attach to the new position. 

This method is no more than the same amount of clicks that it would take if there was a "Detach from Rigging Position" command. However, I do think that because there is an "Attach" there should also be a "Detach" version alongside the Attach command.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

At the moment the manage loads tool is the official solution but the detach workflow needs to be improved and is on our internal enhancment priority list.

@markdd's workflow is a good workaround, just make sure to turn off the autopositioning check boxes in the Spotlight preferences so the the load objects  do not automatically reconnect to the trusses until you want them to.