request - Upgrades to the soft goods (pipe and drape) toolset

2022, SP3

I have a request...maybe others can weigh in.

I'd like the soft goods tool, more specifically the pipe and drape option, to function more like how a stage hand would set it up... Basically, Vectorworks is too analytical for a pretty basic task. 

example:

I need a 36' run of p&d. My sliders are 6-10', and drape is 58" wide. We do 3 pieces of drape per 10' section.

A stage hand will set this up at (3x) 10' runs, with a 6' run on the end. 11 fabric panels. 5 bases/uprights, 4 sliders. 

However, Vectorworks wants to do an equal number of runs that lands between 6' and 10'. In this case, I get 4 runs of 8'10.5". I still get the correct 5 bases/uprights, 4 sliders. 

- Because I can't specify drape-per-slider, it defaults to 2 per section, 8 panels total. I can fix this if I mess with the "Minimum Overlap" option.

Couple ideas:

Can we have the tool do math for a more logical outcome? ...something like: total run divided by max slider length (or target length), remainder to a non-conforming piece?

A way to specify (force) the number of panels per max slider length?

Can we get a "Combine drape" tool?

Also, the check-box for "include in calculations" for p&d should default to OFF!

(side note...my boss laughs every time I tell him that our $3,700 software package is not as intelligent as an entry-level stage hand!)

• Like 1

If you don't want the tool to do the division for you, then you can specify the location of each vertical pipe by clicking the point where you want the vertical to be when you create the object. This is the same workflow that you would use if you were drawing a polyline. 

If you want to edit the location of the verticals after insertion, then you can right-click on the object and select Edit Path. From there you can add/subtract vertices as necessary and the verticals should fall into line when you exit the edit window.

Hope that keeps the boss happy!

Edited by markdd
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

A couple of observations and a specific solution from my PoV.

Both Mark and Andy offer excellent suggestions on construction/editing the path polyline. I have one more to offer.

16 hours ago, livespace josha said:

A stage hand will set this up at (3x) 10' runs, with a 6' run on the end.

This is true for many but not all. Some prefer to space them evenly for either looks or the slight advantage of offering a bit less stress on the slider bar. 8'10.5" for all is ever so slightly less fatiguing on the slider then extending them fully to 10'. 

Of course, local practice varies.

Personally, I'd send 12 panels of drape just in case and if they use it, great. If not, it's a spare.

16 hours ago, livespace josha said:

I need a 36' run of p&d. My sliders are 6-10', and drape is 58" wide. We do 3 pieces of drape per 10' section.

To draw exactly what you want so you get the count you want, try this:

1. drape tool.
  2. Start your line, hit the tab key and type in 30' followed by enter and then click where needed.
  3. Continue your line for another 6' and double click to end. (You could also hit tab again and enter 6' to be exact.)
  4. In the OiP, enter your drape panel width of 58"
  5. Change the "Vertical Tied Fullness (%)" to 40.

This gives you three panels for the 10' sections and two for the 6' section.

Snag_2d1e4c67.png

• Like 1