surface modifier alignment

station

Question

Hi- modifying hardscapes and settings are for modifier at top and it seems to randomly work at top or not. Frustrating in that the workaround is to go back and set modifiers to adjust to the component thickness... Especially fustrating when it aligns to the top of one edge and then to the bottom of the next. Is this a known issue or is there something I am missing

thanks

john

2 answers to this question

You mean align surface? Several things in play:

• hardscape plan projection needs to be fully coincident with or overlapping all the target edges.
  • If target is extrude, the extrude direction determines “Top” of the alignment. Eg if target is extruded down, the hardscape alignment will respond to lower edge as “Top”.
  • If hardscape is curved too much relative to target objects, only part of the hardscape will align. Then hardscape modifiers required. 

Can you post a simple example?

-B

• Like 1
On 3/24/2022 at 12:51 PM, Benson Shaw said:

You mean align surface? Several things in play:

• hardscape plan projection needs to be fully coincident with or overlapping all the target edges.
  • If target is extrude, the extrude direction determines “Top” of the alignment. Eg if target is extruded down, the hardscape alignment will respond to lower edge as “Top”.
  • If hardscape is curved too much relative to target objects, only part of the hardscape will align. Then hardscape modifiers required. 

Can you post a simple example?

-B

thanks Benson. I've had good luck with align surface in general but no this is simply the geodetic reference for top or bottom. I have a .15m hardscape and I want a modifier (stake or grade) to reference the top and some hardscapes reference to the bottom (seems random). I'll send a screenshot when I am back in that project