Importing BIM model from Revit to Vectorworks

AlbaLLI

I am using Vectorworks 2020 and I am having some issues when I import a RVT file with BIM elements to Vectorworks.

Some elements are moved (walls showing above roof, entrance door moved up, etc..)

Some elements duplicated - like a fence showing 3 times slightly offset

Can someone help me on a way of importing BIM drawings to Vectorworks?

Thanks

Hi,

Vectorworks does not convert IfcEntities into native objects (yet). It's meant as a reference, similar to a dwg-file. The question is your use case. Do you have to work on the imported architecture or are you only referencing it? If you have to work with the model, the best way would be remodeling it according to the ifc file.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 10:13 AM, AlbaLLI said:

@shorterCould you recommend what is the best exporting IFC for Vectorworks?

They have also sent me an IFC and all BIM setting are lost. Walls are imported as solids... any idea on how to resolve this?

From Revit?  We have standard settings for exporting IFC from Revit that have taken a while to perfect, and at quite a cost.  The issuer should be capable of issuing IFC IF they understand BIM.

As @elepp states, IFC will only import as 'ifc entities' which will be 3d solids, rather than 'parametric' objects.  Unlike ArchiCAD and Revit that attempt to convert IFC objects to native objects, Vectorworks doesn't.  I tend to subscribe to that thinking, although I know others don't.

The idea of IFC is not for round-tripping models.  It's for 3D coordination and data-extraction.  The only way I could ever see round-tripping work effectively is if each software vendor agreed to an 'ifc work mode' to work natively in an IFC file format, similar to how Bentley and Autodesk developed a 'DWG work mode' for Bentley in order for Microstation to work 'natively' wth DWG.  It works but severely limits the functionality of Microstation.

The currently situation is far from reliable in Revit particularly where Revit's rules do not allow some of the modelling techniques in Vectorworks and as a consequence we often find walls unjoin, and spaces connect to the wrong walls after conversion.  The only way you can ensure a reliable facsimile of your work in revit is to convert the ifc to revit and then validate the revit model.